Official Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Official Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Post by KRay93 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Russia's Biggest Hack" by James E. Doucette.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette is a historical fiction/thriller novel that takes place at the end of 1999. It follows John Ward, a high-ranking employee of Global Communications, the dominant provider of telecommunications services in the United States. After an air accident that claims the life of Global’s president, John is left in an uncomfortable position with the new manager and the direction he proposes for the company, just like many other members of the executive board.

When John finds out that Global will ally with a Russian company of the same market, he begins to suspect that there is something more behind the recent and mysterious developments around Global’s brand-new business strategy. As a faithful employee and a patriot, John puts his life at stake to unmask a secret Russian conspiracy that seeks to cripple the American infrastructure and return the country to the Stone Age, paving the way for Russia to become the world's greatest superpower.

The prose from the book is quite fluid and, above all, very suitable for a fast-paced thriller. The author focuses on describing the actions that the characters carry out, leaving aside the environments that surround them and everything that happens in their minds. While this favors the development of a compelling plot, it also harms the characters. In most cases, they fall into the classic stereotypes of techno-thrillers or spy novels. The author would have benefited from including some extra pages to deal with this issue, especially in the case of John. He could have been a far more appealing protagonist if Doucette had fleshed out his past in Vietnam and the relationship with his distant father.

This novel also has its fair share of technical language, although this is something to be expected given its genre. Although the author has done a great job in relation to his research in the world of telecommunications, all the techno-babble may prove a bit excessive for those who are not used to this environment or do not find it interesting. Additionally, although the editing work is quite acceptable, there are some minor formatting errors. These revolve around double blank spaces after periods and a couple of missing double quotation marks in dialogues. In any case, these issues do not move the reader away from the narrative flow.

Despite its shortcomings, this book manages to deliver what it proposes. The author takes advantage of the current political climate of the United States to promote an intriguing conspiracy novel reminiscent of Tom Clancy’s classics. Even if the characters are in second place next to the plot, the story is utterly engaging, and it certainly kept me hooked until the very end, which I found quite satisfactory since it left no stones unturned. All things considered, I think the most appropriate thing for me is to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to fans of techno-thrillers and spy novels that are mostly developed within the corporate world.

Russia's Biggest Hack
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KRay93's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I don't find techno-babble thrilling, but I appreciate your review. I mildly interested until you mentioned that.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like an interesting plot but my eyes begin to glaze over reading too much techno-babble. I appreciate your honest review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm intrigued by the title and it seems like a high profiled read. I'm not into techno thriller though, but thank you for the details.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A Russian conspiracy?? Say it isn't so? Sounds quite thrilling but the technical language is throwing me off a bit. I'm going to pass on this one for now, but I'll keep it in mind for a future date. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

So intriguing when it is about Russian conspirancies... must be a intense book. I have to add it to my reading list. Thank you for the review!
obialor chidera
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by obialor chidera »

very intriguing storyline and brilliant review too
Theo Sanders
Currently Reading: The Prize
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Theo Sanders »

This book seems to contain all the elements that I love - espionage, mystery, intrigue and techno babble! I'm looking forward to reading it.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I recently read The Last Assassination by this author and had a similar reaction ...a decent plot, but characters a little shaky...also resulting in a 3 star review.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This is my favorite genre. I know what you mean about too many technical terms. I once read a book where the description of the bomb was made was a whole chapter. I tend to skip it sometimes, then just continue. Thanks for your review.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The author focuses on describing the actions that the characters carry out, leaving aside the environments that surround them and everything that happens in their minds.
The descriptions could have helped in engaging the senses and adding more depth to the characters. Thanks for the insights.

Return to “Historical Fiction”