Official Review: Lake Pontchartrain by Thomas Grant

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Official Review: Lake Pontchartrain by Thomas Grant

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lake Pontchartrain" by Thomas Grant.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A self-proclaimed novel of love, honor and betrayal, Lake Pontchartrain by Thomas Grant is just that. A historical fiction spanning centuries and covering the lives of the Forresters of Greenville, Lake Pontchartrain gives glimpses of what life was like in the South during the Reconstruction era. Author Thomas Grant has done his research and given the reader a well-painted picture of the Carolinas through the eyes of the family members of some important figures in Greenville's history.

This novel is narrated by "Mistah G" who has married into the Forrester family. At the beginning of the book, he accompanies his wife to an unveiling ceremony for a statue of one of her ancestors in Greenville. It is there that he learns of the last direct descendant of the Forrester clan, the 94-year-old Maitie Forrester. Over the next few months, Mistah G makes many trips back to Greenville to meet with Maitie and her lifelong housemaid and friend, Deecee. It is through these two women that he learns of their lives growing up in Greenville and of the loves they've had. As their stories unfold, Mistah G finds himself captivated by their tale of woe, love lost, and secrets kept for decades.

Lake Pontchartrain is a mesmerizing tale. It is eloquently written and draws the reader in. The descriptions of the Carolinas and the Louisiana bayou are so well-done that the locations pop off the page. The story of Deecee and Maitie is a heartfelt one that is sure to satisfy both lovers of history and romance.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It had a pleasant amount of twists and turns to the plot. Also, it was easy enough to follow and had a helpful family tree printed at the front. Even the dialogue was written well. It was very easy for me to hear the characters through their written words. My favorite aspect was all the history that I learned about the South from this story. Probably my only complaint would be that the end was rather abrupt. There was a quick summation of the characters that had previously not been mentioned in the story. I suppose this could lead to a sequel that delves more into the lives of those characters. Otherwise, that part just seemed a bit rushed to me.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The writing was excellent, the story was moving, and the history seemed accurate. I would recommend this book to fans of historical fiction or romance. It is quite wordy, so I wouldn't suggest it to those who lack an appreciation for lengthy prose. This book has sparked my interest in the South during the Reconstruction era, and I look forward to reading more about that time period as well as more novels by this author.

Lake Pontchartrain
View: on Bookshelves

Like pricklypurple's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I'm not a fan of historical fiction but your review is really interesting. I would only consider reading a book because of its romance genre.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

In this case, I think the retrospective point-of-view of 94-year-old Maitie Forrester worked just fine to tell the story and give authenticity to the plot. Thanks for mentioning the interesting blending of historical fiction and romance.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I am also not a fan of historical fiction, therefore, I don't think I'll be taking up this book any time soon. Thanks for the review though!
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I love historical doing, I see myself liking this too... The author has done well to ensure that the characters in 'Lake Pontchartrain' connect with us very well...

The title also seems to speak of a certain, true lake.. Anyways, thanks for this beautiful review!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Lengthy prose and history are not my cup of tea, thanks for the review though.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

My husband’s family is from Louisiana, so it would be interesting for me to read about the bayou. The family tree at the front is a bonus that would be helpful to refer to throughout the reading. Thanks for your enlightening review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Since I have relatives from Louisiana, this book appeals to me except for the abrupt ending. Thanks for the interesting review!
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

I love the romance genre of books, thanks for the nice review.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 03:46 I'm not a fan of historical fiction but your review is really interesting. I would only consider reading a book because of its romance genre.
Well, this book definitely has romance in it as well. :)
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 03:46 I'm not a fan of historical fiction but your review is really interesting. I would only consider reading a book because of its romance genre.
You should check this one out. There's definitely some romance involved.

Return to “Historical Fiction”