Official Review: Eleanor's Wars by Ames Sheldon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Official Review: Eleanor's Wars by Ames Sheldon

Post by DancingLady »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Eleanor's Wars" by Ames Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What happens when the past is buried? Can keeping secrets really protect others? These questions and many others are explored in Ames Sheldon's novel, Eleanor's Wars. In 1942, Eleanor Sutton is preparing to send her youngest son to a prestigious boarding school. Amidst the struggles of facing an empty nest, memories of her past are brought to the forefront when she unpacks the contents of her old trunk, which had not been opened since 1918.

With America at war again, Eleanor finds it more and more difficult to keep the memories of her own war experience a secret. Since her husband does not like her to talk about her past, her children and friends do not know about her time as an ambulance driver in France or her tragically short marriage to a French doctor in the Great War. As the truth slowly comes out, what will the ultimate cost of keeping these secrets for so long be?

This book is a stunningly crafted work of historical fiction and family drama. Over the backdrop of WWII, nearly every aspect of family life is explored, from schooling and coming of age to marital difficulties and personal failings. Family dynamics and communication are a driving force behind the storyline. While the book is wonderfully engaging in its complexity and realism, there are many opportunities to consider how the words and actions of one member of the family affect the decisions of the others. The atmosphere created by withholding Eleanor's history has a clear influence on the children. All three keep secrets from one or both parents that contribute to the dramatic tension of the story. In the end, the reader is left to ponder what might have been different if each character had shared his or her secrets much sooner.

This is perhaps one of the only books I have ever read where I can't find anything to criticize. The story combines the ugliness of war with touching sentimental moments. Though the culture of the time was different, Eleanor and the Sutton family are understandable and relatable people living out their lives in the face of uncertainty. In reading this book, I gained a new appreciation for just how all-encompassing the war effort was. I never realized the extent to which nearly every aspect of daily life was evaluated in light of its possible contribution to the cause. With so many action-filled stories about soldiers and battles, this book fills a notable literary gap by shedding light on the roles of women in both world wars and how society responded to those who served.

This book is expertly crafted, flawlessly edited, and superb in every way. It is more than deserving of 4 out of 4 stars. With a satisfying ending of its own, this story leaves plenty of room for a sequel. I highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in women's history, war history, and what life was like on the homefront.

Eleanor's Wars
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DancingLady's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

Family drama is not really my thing but I like reading books about history. I think the WWII aspect of the book might interest me. Thanks for the review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Historical fiction is not my genre of choice, but the drama of family secrets appeals to the mystery-lover in me. Thanks for your interesting review!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I think it would be interesting to read about Eleanor's perspective, especially in regards to how she managed to carry on after the war, and her husband not wanting her to speak about it. Thank you for the great review, I definitely think I would add to my to read list.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Great review. Glad you enjoyed it and that you couldn't find any fault with it. This may be one I add to my to read list
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Ubyamos wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 12:31 Family drama is not really my thing but I like reading books about history. I think the WWII aspect of the book might interest me. Thanks for the review.
I hope you like it. I think the history elements are strong enough to keep you interested. The reason I referred to the war as the backdrop is because it’s always there, you never forget about it no matter what is going on.
EllieAfter
Currently Reading: The Atomic City Girls
Bookshelf Size: 1140
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by EllieAfter »

Thank you for this interesting review. I love books set during WWII. I have added this to my ever-growing "to read" list.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This book is a stunningly crafted work of historical fiction and family drama. Over the backdrop of WWII, nearly every aspect of family life is explored, from schooling and coming of age to marital difficulties and personal failings. Family dynamics and communication are a driving force behind the storyline.
This is just the kind of book I know I'll love, I totally understand why you gave it such high praises.
I love WWII books in general, but there are not that many books that show us how everyday life was at that time.
With so many action-filled stories about soldiers and battles, this book fills a notable literary gap by shedding light on the roles of women in both world wars and how society responded to those who served.
I completely agree, most war books focus on the soldiers that were usually men. However, women fought their own war and their role was fundamental. Also, war usually changed the roles women had to perform in the absence of men.

Amazing, insightful review! Straight to my shelves!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Those are quite relevant questions to ask, I should say. However, the answers could be as elusive and subjective as the very reasons for life's complexities and nuances. For one, armed conflict has always brought pain and suffering to all sides involved and even beyond. As someone who had been a female military officer in the past, there is sufficient reason for me to say that none of the people I knew would ever resort to drastic measures if peaceful ways are possible. This piece's genre may not be what I'm looking for now, and yet it's reassuring when literary works are able to highlight what was good and what could be better. I hope we'd find more reasons to live in harmony. Indeed, I am a dreamer.

Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

It is wonderful that the book was so good you could not think of anything negative to say. The fact that the family values are well-blended with the history suggests a different take by the author than other books of this genre. Thanks for the insightful review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Secrets that are closely linked with world wars are my cup of tea. My curiosity aroused more when I reached this part of your review:
"This book is expertly crafted, flawlessly edited, and superb in every way."
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

A woman hiding secrets about her role in the previous war from her family sounds enthralling. This is a story I might like. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I suppose it is unusual for a book to be written from a woman's point of view and involvement in wars. The story sounds like it balanced the war action to the family secrets and dynamics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Every family has their own skeleton in the closet. I like the family secrets and drama of this one. I'm already intrigued on what difference revealing the secrets earlier would make. Enticing review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Historical Fiction”