Official Review: Of Ashes and Dust by Marc Graham

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Official Review: Of Ashes and Dust by Marc Graham

Post by cpru68 »

daydreaming reader wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 13:23 Sounds very interesting, certainly looking forward to getting my hands on this. Thank you for the review.
It is a well crafted story that made me forget I was being instructed on American history. I wish this would have been how history would have been presented when I was in school trying not to fall asleep in class! Thank you for reading my review.
Everything happens for a reason...
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 14:08 This sounds like quite the story. There seem to be quite a few themes intertwined in this emotional saga. I hope you are able to acquire that autograph soon :)
I read the book on my Kindle, so I was thinking, "How can I get his autograph without him messing up my Kindle screen?" Ha. He really is a good author, and I didn't even touch on some of the other elements of the book. There was just so much, and I didn't want to ruin the book for a new reader. Thanks for reading my review.
Crainbow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crainbow.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Crainbow »

Exceptional review. I enjoy historical narratives that have a point to them and a life lesson to learn and also one that can incorporate other genres focusing on relationships among people; your review seems to confirm that this book is exactly it. I'd love to read this book.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I’m confused about the timing on this book. You indicate that it takes place right before the Civil War in the mid-1880s, but the Civil War ended in 1865. Was this a typo or did the author play with time in this story as well?
jhomarcams26
Currently Reading: Mistress Suffragette
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by jhomarcams26 »

I found that refreshing because he didn't use any of this to try and sell his story. too much fighting and not enough handshaking!
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 0720455781 »

The whole thing sounds real, can't wait to check on this book. Thanks for that enlightenment
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I love a book that you become so emotionally invested in that you talk to it aloud! It's set in a great time period (well maybe not so great depending on how you look at it) and has some great themes. All in all, definitely one worth checking out. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Thanks for the heads up on the language and sexual situations. I hate getting into a book and then a certain phrase or scene throws me off. "Whoa! Where did that come from ?". Sounds like it is tastefully done though and I still would like to read this one.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I enjoy historical fiction but most of the ones I've read are meant for young adults. I think some amount of action and violence are important in war books to make them seem more credible. Your review indeed sheds light on all these points and is done really well.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Jerono koech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerono-koech.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Jerono koech »

Had no passion for historical fiction but with this, i think am gonna read it. Awesome review and its so detailed. congrats.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 16:04 I’m confused about the timing on this book. You indicate that it takes place right before the Civil War in the mid-1880s, but the Civil War ended in 1865. Was this a typo or did the author play with time in this story as well?
[/quote

At the onset of my review, I mentioned that the main character is a child of six. (1846) Meaning, he was six years old when the story began. It starts there and goes on through the Civil War and beyond. By the end, the main character is 40.

Return to “Historical Fiction”