Official Review: Boston's Own BIG JOE FLYNN

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Boston's Own BIG JOE FLYNN

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Boston's Own BIG JOE FLYNN" by William James Barry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every hope that the family seemed to have clung to seems lost when the young Joseph Michael Flynn is diagnosed with childhood tuberculosis. Michael and Caterina Flynn, Joe’s parents, are heartbroken and so is his sister, Eileen and his grandparents. The mysterious and dreaded illness continues to ravage his weak body. He is later admitted to Trudeau Sanatorium and for two years he battles for his life.

Boston's Own BIG JOE FLYNN by William James Barry is the story of this young man who went against all odds to become one of the most celebrated men in his hometown, Boston. After two years, he recovers and finds his passion in baseball. He goes ahead to play for Boston Red Sox. During this time, he meets a charming young lady, Anna Sullivan. He is immediately taken by her and shortly after, he proposes to her. Still, tragedy is not done with him and he will have to fight more obstacles ahead.

I like that Joe’s story is realistic and with its realism comes inspiration. Boston's Own BIG JOE FLYNN is not your usual happily-ever-after fairy-tale. Anna and Joe go through a lot but their bond and the support of their parents and friends help them overcome challenges that have the ability to crush a man. The story starts in a despondent tone then picks up when Joe becomes a celebrated player. The turns that come later only heighten the suspense while showing the uncertainty of life.

The backdrop of the book was well selected. It features a time in the past that had me reminiscing about past historical events. With World War II behind America, everyone seems to be enthusiastic. The economy is picking up and many are hopeful of the future. It is in this setting that the story of Big Joe arises. There is something to look forward to and many like him playing in various Baseball teams give the people something light-hearted to focus on. Barry also touches on Ireland’s struggle for independence and how Michael Flynn and his friends risk their lives to gain freedom for their country alongside the Irish Republican Army.

The beginning of the book contains a few errors. There are also some repetitive phrases and sentences that do not flow in this section of the treatise and hence I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Big Joe’s story in Boston's Own BIG JOE FLYNN by William James Barry will serve as an inspiration to any reader especially to fans of baseball accounts that contain a touch of American history.

Boston's Own BIG JOE FLYNN
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting! I like the time period that this is set and the adversity that Joe overcomes! It's too bad about the repeated phrases and errors, but it still sounds like a worthwhile story. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I love that the book contains a touch of American history, but I'm not sure I'd be able to handle reading about the tragedies they endure right now. Great review, though!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This inspirational story seems like an enjoyable read. Thanks for your great review!
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

The thought of reading a historical fiction piece that isn't happy-go-lucky has aroused my curiosity! Boston's Own BIG JOE FLYNN appears to be full of struggle, hope, and joy. I look forward to delving further into Joe and Anna's life in Boston!

Return to “Historical Fiction”