Official Review: Berlin Butterfly by Leah Moyes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: Berlin Butterfly by Leah Moyes

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Berlin Butterfly" by Leah Moyes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Berlin Butterfly: Ensnare by Leah Moyes is a historical fiction that takes place in Berlin in the early 1960s. World War II might have ended, but the horrors it left behind are still very real. Berlin is politically split in two, and this split becomes physical when East Berlin puts up a wall in 1961. Overnight, families are torn apart as the German people find themselves on opposite sides of the wall. Ella is separated from her brother, Josef, and her best friend, Anton. The two boys managed to make it to freedom in West Berlin the night before the wall went up. Ella, however, stayed behind to take care of her sick father. With border patrols becoming increasingly watchful, will Ella ever be able to make it over the wall to her family and freedom?

I loved that this story brought the Berlin Wall to light. Many people forget what German citizens went through after the war ended, myself included. This story talks about the hardships that people in Berlin went through. While Ella’s story is fictional, it is still realistic. Her fictional struggles were probably experienced by real people while all this was happening. Because I knew that a lot of this book really could have happened, it was a very emotional read, and I loved every second of it. It really made me take a step back and be grateful for everything I have, my freedom included.

My favorite aspect of the book was that the author really emphasized the difference between the rich and the poor during this time period. The rich had no cares. They lived luxuriously and didn’t even bat an eye at the people outside their doors that were struggling to survive. This reminded me so much of what we are experiencing in society today, which is heartbreaking.

Another aspect that I enjoyed was the ending. When I first started reading, I thought the book was very predictable. I guessed what would happen several times. However, this predictability was gone by the end of the book, which I was pleased by. The end threw me for a loop. I would never have expected it. I can’t say much more without ruining the book, but I loved that I didn’t predict the ending correctly. I was also left wanting more, so I really hope this author writes a second book.

I only have two issues with this book. The biggest downfall was the lack of editing, especially of the punctuation. While punctuation errors aren’t the worst errors that a book can have, they were still distracting. The other problem I had with the book was that there were several German phrases, but not all of them were defined or translated. I had to look them up myself, which I really don’t like doing when I’m reading.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The story was excellent. The editing just needed some work. If the errors were fixed, I would definitely consider giving this book a perfect score. That being said, I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction, especially books set in the aftermath of World War II. However, if you don’t want to be hit with the reality of that time period, this book might not be for you.

Berlin Butterfly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I agree that having to look up words while reading is really annoying, but I also find it quite interesting when it is a completely new word to me. The story seems to be an emotional one, which I think is great when well executed. I dislike predictability though, but since your review indicates that it disappears by the end of the book, I am certainly willing to give this a read. Thank you for the review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I don't know too much about the history around the Berlin Wall. I know it was there, I know it was a big deal, and I know it was a big deal when it was torn down. I love historical fiction, I may pick this up to try and gain more insight on parts of history I don't know too much about. Thank you for your review.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Navysquid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Navysquid »

I read this book and agree with Annalore about the misdirection as I thought I knew where the book was headed. Curveball. I was intrigued the whole way through the book and actually loved the intermittent German words as it made me search for words I did not know as a non-German speaker.

Ella, the main character, showed she had heart, grit, loss, and unbelievable determination to get through all she did as she seemed to never catch a break. The ending does leave you with wanting more and I hope there is a sequel! This, in my opinion, is a definite bookshelf read. You'll enjoy reading this book and learn about the Berlin Wall along the way.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

This book has my vote, I would love to see the fresh perspective of world War 2..... The wall built sounds like an interesting concept, also, good enlightenment of what the Germans faced postwar is something I'll be looking out for.

Thank for this review....
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I really like the cover design of this book. From your review, the plot seems quite engaging. I must admit though, the Berlin Wall is not something I am familiar with. Good job on pointing out the flaws and strengths of the story. If I'm ever in the mood to read a good historical fiction, I will get The Berlin Butterfly.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I would be annoyed by having to look up the translations as well but I found your review engaging. Otherwise, it sounds like a very interesting read.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the lovely review! I'm also interested in learning more about the Berlin Wall, and it is all the more important in times like this, especially with the current political climate.
bookierme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by bookierme »

I love historical fiction and I am fascinated by the German language, so I would love to read this book. Your review also has me intrigued as to what the possible ending of this book could be, so I am adding it to my reading list. Great review!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I don't think I've read any historical fiction covering this time period in Germany. I'll have to check it out.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Historical Fiction”