Official Review: Break Free by Deborah Bowers

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Break Free by Deborah Bowers

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Break Free" by Deborah Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Break Free by Deborah Bowers is an in-depth look into slavery, more so, the mental and psychological impact of bondage. It seeks to free the reader from unconscious mind-sets that still have a hold on many victims even after the abolition of slave trade years ago.

The beginning of the book commemorates the one hundred and eighty years spent in enslavement by generations of slaves before liberation. Even after freedom was declared, we still live in a world where inequalities between different people groups exist. According to Bowers, much more now has to be done to fully restore the identity and self-assurance that was lost during the time of enslavement. This begins first by understanding the past and appreciating where we have come from. Ultimately, this gives the seeker a grasp of who they are. Understanding our purpose and what we are capable of is equally important.

What stood out for me in the book was Bowers’ study of the tactics used by the perpetrators of slavery. It is through understanding these schemes that the victims can understand what they lost during those years of hardship. This way, they can forge a way forward to reclaim all that they need now to succeed. Deborah Bowers makes an important point. The past has to be given its rightful place. Forgetting years of servitude is not necessarily the answer, but embracing the past and learning from it is crucial to the development of those who were once physically enslaved.

I also liked that Bowers also notes the psychological forms of slavery that continue to exist. These forms are easily overlooked even though they are incredibly impactful. She goes further to provide guidance on how these perceptions can be overcome. According to her, both the oppressed and the oppressor have roles to play to ensure complete liberty is achieved and maintained.

The information contained in Break Free is also diverse and touches on many aspects that can be used in the process of liberation for those who are enslaved. Among the key topics included, self-discipline, knowledge of wealth creation and setting of goals really made a great impact on me. In many ways, knowledge and self-development will play a key role in cultivating and providing practical skill-sets that are necessary for achieving independence.

The exposition ends with the author’s reassurance to those who are still oppressed. She reminds them that God still seeks to free them. I wish the book would have been longer since it is so full of insight. I rate Break Free by Deborah Bowers 4 out of 4 stars.

Break Free
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
John D Beloved
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by John D Beloved »

There Is No Bondage That Has No Way To Lose,the Writer Remind Us To Just Focus And Seek God Always And God Is Ready To Free Us.I Love Your Review Good And Well Explain.Thanks For Great Review
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that the author talks about the psychological forms of slavery. Slavery as such doesn't exist much at least on the surface here (though there is an abundance of human trafficking, etc...) But I believe that someone can be a slave in their minds. So, this book is a welcome addition to the library. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a really insightful read. Addressing the psychological forms of slavery is very relevant today. Thanks for a great review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It looks like a healthy look at achieving healing from past hurts. Too often people use the past as an excuse for current behavior instead of seeking to restore healing and move forward.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Great review... there are clearly some interesting insights in this book, such as the need to learn the lessons of the past in order to move forward.
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

This looks like an in-depth, rounded look at slavery and its impacts. Very interesting that it includes the psychological aspects of it, I'm glad you included that nugget.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

Slavery still exists in our world today and some just turn a blind eye about it. Its interesting to know that there are authors who takes their time and effort to enlighten people concerning this topic. :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown:
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi

Return to “Historical Fiction”