Official Review: My God My Country My Son by Peter Ford

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Official Review: My God My Country My Son by Peter Ford

Post by KRay93 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My God My Country My Son" by Peter Ford.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My God! My Country, My Son by Peter Ford is a historical fiction novel that takes place in the 1950s. It follows the story of Sergeant Wanton and his son Will, both black men living in the United States. Wanton is a highly decorated leader in the US Army, someone who appreciates the opportunities his country has given him despite the fact that he was unjustly denied many of the same rights other citizens have.

On the other hand, Will is a young musician and a dreamer that belongs to a new generation. He is someone who chooses to put his life on the line to stand for an end to racism in his country, even though his father forbids him from joining the protests. The conflicts between the two generate moments of tension in their home, and an unexpected call to arms will put in check their convictions along with the welfare of the family.

The characterization work of the protagonists is remarkable. While Will and Wanton seem polar opposites at first, the reader will begin to notice their similarities beyond their ideologies as the story progresses. The secondary characters, although less important, do not fall behind in this matter and contribute to the central conflict with the protagonists. Additionally, the author does a great job of exposing the social conditions of black people during the 50's, helping the reader to immerse himself in the struggle of a marginalized social class.

The author's writing work is quite good, although he could have delved further into the introspection of some characters, with the exception of Will. At the same time, the jumps of the narrative POVs between the protagonists become inconstant and unbalanced at times. Some of them receive brief moments of focus in the middle of long portions of narrative segments that belong to other characters. Additionally, a few paragraphs devoted to exposing their past feel disconnected from the main structure, also contributing to aggravate the previous problem.

Unfortunately, any effort by the author to build a good story is undermined by the disastrous editing work. Although there are no typos or grammatical errors, the enormous number of problems surrounding the formatting process makes it impossible for the reader to remain focused on the narrative flow. From paragraphs erroneously intermingled or separated to badly placed page numbers and headers, the digital version of this book becomes almost impossible to digest. Even worse, the prologue seems to lack editing at all, mixing the present and past tenses all over the place (this also happens in the paperback version as far as I could see).

I'll be honest. If not for the story and the well-developed characters, I would not hesitate a second to give this book 1 star. While there is the possibility that some editing problems are exclusive to the digital delivery of this text, it is my job as a reviewer to evaluate what is given to me, which left a lot to be desired. I hope that the author considers making a second edition in the future, but for the time being, I think the most appropriate thing for me is to give this book 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who want to know more about what life was like for black people during the last years of the Jim Crow Laws in the US.

My God My Country My Son
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KRay93's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The father-son relationship, strong character portrayal, and a glimpse into the lives of black men during the Jim Crow laws sounds intriguing. It's a shame about the editing issues. However, I appreciate your candid review.
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

Racism is something that I like reading about or watching movies about it. Thanks for your honest review.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

The story line doesn't interest me. Thanks for the review though.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Sounds like an interesting story about family drama. You wrote a nice review of it. It's just too bad it was badly edited.

Return to “Historical Fiction”