Official Review: Noriko's Journey by Claire Youmans

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Noriko's Journey by Claire Youmans

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Noriko's Journey" by Claire Youmans.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Noriko's Journey by Claire Youmans does a very good job of detailing aspects of Japanese mythology. Its characters are distinct and anchored in the setting, and their relationships are believable. With a half-dragon character, multiple characters that can turn into birds, and horses that can communicate mentally, there is some excellent groundwork for a compelling story. Unfortunately, there's a lack of dramatic tension and focused conflict that really hinders the narrative.

At the beginning of the book, Noriko deals with adjusting to her new life as a married woman. Since she had trained for many years to be a female warrior, learning to accept a less tumultuous lifestyle is an interesting concept. However, it isn't given much time or development at all before it's drowned out by other aspects of the plot: namely, the half-dragon princess Renko trying to create a steam engine, as well as the three babies on the way from multiple different mothers. There's some conflict in Noriko coming to terms with not being able to have children, but again, this is barely explored.

The novel concludes with Noriko going on a journey to find the family she was separated from at a young age. Her desire to connect with her family is compelling, and her emotional scenes are powerfully written, but they still felt disjointed in the context of the overall plot. Many characters other than Noriko just aren't developed enough for me to feel attached to them.

The lack of flow, though, is really the only negative thing about this book. It depicts Japanese culture and mythology vividly, and the challenges that the characters face, like Renko's relationship with her mother and Noriko's pursuit of her origins, are relatable and believable, despite the fantastic setting. Several of the story's elements are interesting, and I genuinely wanted more development of them. It's worth mentioning that this is a sequel, so it's likely that some aspects are delved into earlier in the series.

Since I haven't read the prior books in the series, I have no choice but to judge this book on its own merits. The excellent setting and characters, as well as the lack of focus, mean that I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend it to people with an interest in Japanese mythology who enjoy worldbuilding more than a limited plot. It's probably worth reading the series in order, though, as I can see the many characters becoming overwhelming otherwise.

Noriko's Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I love the cover design of this book. However, all of the plot elements makes me think that it can get a little confusing. Perhaps readers really need to read the other books in the series to fully grasp the premise and characters. Thank you for writing about your experience with this book.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is really an interesting story especially the part about her trying to adjust to a less tumultuous lifestyle. Thank you for a superb review as usual.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Thanks for your interesting review. It sounds like this book might be best understood when read as part of the series but I'm not sure if I'm up for a series on Japanese mythology.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Japanese culture and mythology are not frequently explored in fantastic literature. This seems like it has some very interesting concepts, but it’s too bad that they aren’t explored further. I could see that becoming a very dramatic book if it had done that.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

The book cover is beautiful. I got interested because it features Japanese mythology in it but too bad about the plot. Japanese mythology is among the most vibrant and diverse mythology I've encountered. I think it is also among the hardest to work in a story plot. Thanks for the review. I'm still interested to read this though.
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu »

ViziVoir wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 23:17 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Noriko's Journey" by Claire Youmans.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Noriko's Journey by Claire Youmans does a very good job of detailing aspects of Japanese mythology. Its characters are distinct and anchored in the setting, and their relationships are believable. With a half-dragon character, multiple characters that can turn into birds, and horses that can communicate mentally, there is some excellent groundwork for a compelling story. Unfortunately, there's a lack of dramatic tension and focused conflict that really hinders the narrative.

At the beginning of the book, Noriko deals with adjusting to her new life as a married woman. Since she had trained for many years to be a female warrior, learning to accept a less tumultuous lifestyle is an interesting concept. However, it isn't given much time or development at all before it's drowned out by other aspects of the plot: namely, the half-dragon princess Renko trying to create a steam engine, as well as the three babies on the way from multiple different mothers. There's some conflict in Noriko coming to terms with not being able to have children, but again, this is barely explored.

The novel concludes with Noriko going on a journey to find the family she was separated from at a young age. Her desire to connect with her family is compelling, and her emotional scenes are powerfully written, but they still felt disjointed in the context of the overall plot. Many characters other than Noriko just aren't developed enough for me to feel attached to them.

The lack of flow, though, is really the only negative thing about this book. It depicts Japanese culture and mythology vividly, and the challenges that the characters face, like Renko's relationship with her mother and Noriko's pursuit of her origins, are relatable and believable, despite the fantastic setting. Several of the story's elements are interesting, and I genuinely wanted more development of them. It's worth mentioning that this is a sequel, so it's likely that some aspects are delved into earlier in the series.

Since I haven't read the prior books in the series, I have no choice but to judge this book on its own merits. The excellent setting and characters, as well as the lack of focus, mean that I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend it to people with an interest in Japanese mythology who enjoy worldbuilding more than a limited plot. It's probably worth reading the series in order, though, as I can see the many characters becoming overwhelming otherwise.

Noriko's Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Very vivid review, and I really like Japanese mythology, but I'll take your advice and read the prequels first, and I really did love the cover, good job .
Laysundra Savah
Currently Reading: A Place for Us
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Laysundra Savah »

sounds like it will be a nice interesting read regardless of the story plot or lack there of as clearly it was written in the review. I don't know know to much about Japanese mythology but to have a book series that spans this might be worth the read. A good review for sure thank you for writing it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy good characters and settings. This sounds like the characters are very diverse. But with the lack of dramatic tension, I'm just not sure. Glad that you liked this one, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

It's a shame about the overall lack of character and conflict development. The types of stories I enjoy reading most are those where I can feel the tension and the importance of certain events, and when I can connect with the characters. It's a bit of a let down, what you said, but... I still feel like I should read it! The pull of Japanese folklore and Noriko's overall journey makes me want to find out more. Thanks for your review! :)
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Chidexzy
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chidexzy »

Such an interesting book to read. Really enjoyed it
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

Thanks for the review! I enjoy Japanese mythology so I'm happy to see it explored.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Myths in general are interesting, but the lack of character development is a disappointing. However, if I do read it I will definitely take your advise and read the other books in the series. Thanks for great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I'd absolutely love to read more about Japanese myths. I'm not sure I could get through a book without dramatic tension and character development. I'd hope the other books before this one touch more on it. If I look into it, I'll definitely read from the start of the series.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

Return to “Historical Fiction”