Official Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Iron Crossed" by Renata Rose and Phil Rose.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Martin grew up on a farm in Wiederitzsch, Germany. At fourteen years of age, he signed on as an apprentice with a carpenter. Martin hoped to marry, raise a family, and live a traditional life. He finished his apprenticeship. In the middle of his graduation party, the postman delivered a letter to Martin. The letter had an Imperial Eagle stamp. He would spend the next months building the Westwall. From that day on, Martin’s life would be completely different from what he ever could have imagined.

The book chronicles Martin’s activities as a soldier and member of an elite, covert-spy operations group. His elite group carried out several missions. Of special interest was the failed glider mission to Ösel. Here, we discover what Martin did to merit several Iron Crosses.

Iron Crossed, by Renata Rose and Phil Rose, is a biography written as fiction. It recounts the true story of Martin and Leni. These are the stories of Martin that take him to Denmark, Russia, and Italy. Martin describes the arrival of the Americans at the end of the war. Martin was repatriated to Russian-occupied Germany. He married his beloved Leni and started a family. Life after the war was not easy. Food shortages were common. Women were harassed and treated as community property. They made plans to escape from Germany and live in the West. Martin then found work in Australia. He signed a two-year contract to work on the Snowy Mountains Scheme. Leni came later, with the children. She shares her harrowing experiences of trying to find work. She was responsible for raising their children while Martin completed his work contract.

The writing style makes the conversations seem very familiar. The author does an excellent job of conveying the emotions of the different situations. We share in the joy of their growing family. Martin recounts the painful experiences that altered his beliefs about all the propaganda he had always, naively, accepted as truth.

I thoroughly enjoyed the family photos and photocopies of original documents that accompany the story. There are photos of Martin’s parents. Other photos show their home in Australia. These and many more create an emotional bond with the characters. The author also lists several websites where readers can learn more about Martin and his elite spy group. You can listen to actual recordings of Martin’s voice!

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. Another editing could eliminate the misspellings and punctuation errors. I would recommend this story to readers who enjoy biographies and history. I congratulate Renata on writing such a beautiful memoir in honor of her father and his life.

Iron Crossed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Thank you for an interesting review.
It´s surprising to me how something that I feel so distant as politics has such a deep impact in all of our lives and in the case of Martin, can change it completely. I really enjoy this kind of memoirs and I find it very sweet that their daughter decided to honor them this way.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Lunastella wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 22:04 Thank you for an interesting review.
It´s surprising to me how something that I feel so distant as politics has such a deep impact in all of our lives and in the case of Martin, can change it completely. I really enjoy this kind of memoirs and I find it very sweet that their daughter decided to honor them this way.
That is so true. I like history so this story really intrigued and the photos were a powerful bonus.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think I've read too many biographies written as fiction. It sounds like they led an interesting life. Thanks for the review, but I just don't think I'd be extremely interested in this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 08:47 I don't think I've read too many biographies written as fiction. It sounds like they led an interesting life. Thanks for the review, but I just don't think I'd be extremely interested in this one.
I thought it was a very unique format. The daughter has written a beautiful legacy for her children and all Martin's grandchildren.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

While I'm not much into biographies, I do love history and this sounds like a great read. The editing is such a shame though. Thank you for the great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

JR Mercier wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 10:03 While I'm not much into biographies, I do love history and this sounds like a great read. The editing is such a shame though. Thank you for the great review.
Thanks, JR. I would still recommend this book if you like history. I learned a lot and looked up many things online. Thanks for reading.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

This sounds like an interesting book from the days gone by. Hope the author gets to edit out the errors in future editions.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

KitabuKitamu wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 21:21 This sounds like an interesting book from the days gone by. Hope the author gets to edit out the errors in future editions.
I think the daughter was so impressed by her father's life that she just wanted to document it for future generations. The photos were especially interesting. I was disappointed with the errors, too, especially since everything else was excellent.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

kdstrack wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 22:08
KitabuKitamu wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 21:21 This sounds like an interesting book from the days gone by. Hope the author gets to edit out the errors in future editions.
I think the daughter was so impressed by her father's life that she just wanted to document it for future generations. The photos were especially interesting. I was disappointed with the errors, too, especially since everything else was excellent.
True. Writing a book is not easy. Good thing she got it published in the first place.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

KitabuKitamu wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 22:13
kdstrack wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 22:08
True. Writing a book is not easy. Good thing she got it published in the first place.
It is evident that she put a great deal of work into the book. Imagine the hours spent just talking with her parents and recording all these stories! Then she had to go through photos and find original documents to be able to include them. Truly this was a labor of love!
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I am also pretty impressed. This clearly took determination together with a great investment of time. I love the review and I'm pretty sure I will love the book too.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Faithmwangi wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 13:46 I am also pretty impressed. This clearly took determination together with a great investment of time. I love the review and I'm pretty sure I will love the book too.
Hope you enjoy it! I really admire Renata's work.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A memoir recounting the life of a German man as a soldier and a spy sounds interesting. it is certainly impressive that he got several Iron Crosses. Adding family photos and photocopies of original documents to the tale is a nice touch. That the author managed to convey the emotions clearly is to her credit .Too bad about the lack of editing. It isn't my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a fictional novel based on a biography. The book is a migration Australian historical fiction that highlights espionage. I enjoyed the inciteful onlinebookclub review and rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. Congrats on being the BOTD.

Return to “Historical Fiction”