Official Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faith Ihechukwu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Faith Ihechukwu »

Am not even a big fan of books but this one caught my undivided attention
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

cpru68 wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 10:33 This one does sound impressive. A story from the German side of things, and how Hitler used them for his evil purposes is so heartbreaking along with all the horror. I thoroughly enjoyed your review, and I just might have to look into this one further.
I also enjoyed reading about this time period from a different point of view. That said, it is not a political book. The author concentrates on life experiences. I found it to be very interesting and informative.
mcarp56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mcarp56 »

Thanks for this comprehensive review. Having now read the book, I admire the recognition of the struggles of her parents. The book certainly throws a very personal light on a very interesting time in history. Personally I found the writing style a little more difficult; there seemed to be a battle going on in the authors mind whether this was primarily a fact-based historical "novel", or a history book illustrated by semi-fictional episodes. The facts presented were fascinating, and an affinity with the main character, her father Martin, was definitely achieved, but personally I would have preferred a purely historical fact-based account, rather than this attempt to create a docu-drama type novel. Such an incredible life needs no florid accentuation of the facts, they speak for themselves. As previously noted, the proof-reading failed in many areas also, with spelling mistakes, spacing mistakes, and sometimes a clumsiness of expression in the semi-fictional passages (as a german-speaking English guy, I wonder if some of the clumsiness came about because of the attempts at literal translation from German?). Overall, I would feel that this review was accurate, but personally, although I am very glad to have read this book, and very appreciative of the dedication and love that went into it, from the literary standpoint I would award it around 2.5/4.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kibetious wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 03:18 The review is very nice and also enlightening. It is quite encouraging to read that the author did a good job to convey the different emotions experienced in the various circumstances. I have added this to my ‘want to read’ shelf.
I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

mcarp56 wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 06:37 Thanks for this comprehensive review. Having now read the book, I admire the recognition of the struggles of her parents. The book certainly throws a very personal light on a very interesting time in history. Personally I found the writing style a little more difficult; there seemed to be a battle going on in the authors mind whether this was primarily a fact-based historical "novel", or a history book illustrated by semi-fictional episodes. The facts presented were fascinating, and an affinity with the main character, her father Martin, was definitely achieved, but personally I would have preferred a purely historical fact-based account, rather than this attempt to create a docu-drama type novel. Such an incredible life needs no florid accentuation of the facts, they speak for themselves. As previously noted, the proof-reading failed in many areas also, with spelling mistakes, spacing mistakes, and sometimes a clumsiness of expression in the semi-fictional passages (as a german-speaking English guy, I wonder if some of the clumsiness came about because of the attempts at literal translation from German?). Overall, I would feel that this review was accurate, but personally, although I am very glad to have read this book, and very appreciative of the dedication and love that went into it, from the literary standpoint I would award it around 2.5/4.
I enjoyed your insightful comments! Thanks for reading and sharing.

Return to “Historical Fiction”