Review by slsscifiandart -- The Warramunga's War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
slsscifiandart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slsscifiandart.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Review by slsscifiandart -- The Warramunga's War

Post by slsscifiandart » 02 Jul 2018, 11:14

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I will admit that when reading this book, it’s my first time reading historical fiction that wasn’t a school assignment. And, I don’t know too much about Australia, let alone what an Aboriginal is. All that said, I still managed to read this book in its entirety and enjoyed the chain of events that went on. The story begins with two soldiers, Jamie and Jacko, being part of the Australian troops in Syria and Lebanon and was then transferred to Egypt to find and take down the German Agents posing as American “tourists”. While doing so, they were part of a case to solve the murder of seven women. The story focuses on them tracking down the murderer responsible as well as taking down Germans with help from spies in the area.

There were plenty of aspects I enjoyed when reading and it really gave the impression of reading short stories based on actual WWII events. First was the concept of utilizing spies to figure out enemy plans. With war, spies were key players when it involved figuring out enemy plans and reporting them back to troops. This is shown with one of the dancers in Cairo posing as a spy to help Jamie and Jacko figure out the plans of the German troops and figure out the murderer. Another aspect was the concept of double-crossing own fellow troops, which makes the story believable as there has likely been double-crossing going on in wars like WWII or infiltration by pretending to be someone else in disguise like a double agent and eventually double-crossing and going into another side of the war. What was also surprising was a music sheet in the book. It’s not expected for novels to incorporate one and it was executed in such a way that it did not interfere with the main story.

Adding to the aspects, I liked how the characters were fleshed out as the story progressed. We get to learn more about their background, their roles in the war, their morality, etc. When reading the dialogue especially, it felt like I was watching a movie, especially during parts of the book when they discovered who the murderer was, and the transfer did once again in order for Jamie and Jacko to track him down along with the German troops. The side romance elements did not pose a distraction from the main story and also helped make the character interactions believable.

As stated earlier, I cannot emphasize that even if the reader doesn’t know much about Australian military involvement in WWII or much about Australia aside from basic fun facts, the book can still be an enjoyable read. Just like you don’t need to be a detective to understand and enjoy detective books, you do not need to be a military veteran to read and enjoy military fiction. The best part is, the book incorporates both detective work and military content, a nice combination that was brilliantly executed.

In conclusion, I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. The book was easy to read and well edited. Couldn’t find any error that popped out as I was reading, indicating the publisher did a great job in spotting errors. I look forward to reading more detective-like incorporated works and expanding my reading genres of interest.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like slsscifiandart's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”