Official Review: Riding Shotgun on the Normal Stage

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Re: Official Review: Riding Shotgun on the Normal Stage

Post by starshipsaga »

Now that's a title designed to catch your attention. This looks like a nice Western and I like the sound of a trip back to life in old Texas. The structure of three stories making up a whole is intriguing too, I love books that are told in interesting ways.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

The fact that there are three stories in there, and that it does justice to the history makes this a very interesting book. Great review.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
goldengal1315
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldengal1315.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by goldengal1315 »

I have to say I am not much of a Western fan. However, over the last six months or so I have had the chance to relive my youth. Everyday I watch Matt Dillon round up the bad guys and bring peace and justice to the new western front, alongside Miss Kitty. I have to say I am hooked and I know that all is going to be settled in 56 minutes but that isn't the point. For that time period the world's problems are forgotten for awhile, much like when you read a good book. The reviewer sounds as though he enjoyed himself as he turned each page and he convinced me to purchase the book and place it on my shelf to read in the coming cold months.
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

I have always disliked history novels. interesting story line. but this story is most certinatly not my type. i do not think i will be reading this novel any time soon. thanks for your review!
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this was an interesting Wild West story. It was interesting to see how the author combined different smaller plot lines to create a cohesive story. Well Done.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I've never read a western before, so this will be a first! I like the idea of all three stories taking place in the same town of Normal, which I'm sure is going to sound anything but normal to me. :-) Time will tell - thanks for the review and free book!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I would like to read on life in the American south in the days when the sheriff was the judge, jury, and hangman. I also like the fact that the book is well written with minimal of errors. Excellent review.
Nandy
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 170

Post by Nandy »

Great review and thanks for being so in depth. Seems to be a great read for western show lovers. If my mum read books I would definitely recommend it to her
Supersheryl28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Supersheryl28 »

I’ll have to be honest best before reading the book I was not excited about reading it. After reading it a few things caught my attention and made me want to read and I think it is going to be a good read. Some of the things that caught my attention are it’s in Texas I’m in Texas and I love stories that intertwine. Also it leaves you hanging wanting to know who were the two that stayed alive in the first story. After reading the review I’m excited to start reading it!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Three interconnected stories about the old west seems pretty interesting. I’ll check it out.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

This book definitely seems like a thrilling, fast-paced read, but I'm still contemplating whether I should read or not. I don't know if it's the facts that so many deaths occur in just the first few pages, or that my first few pages were a bit confusing...but only time will tell whether I will finish this novel! Thanks for the review - I loved the summary.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

It is refreshing to have a glimpse once again at the life in the wild, wild west. These must be the times of Jesse James, the Younger brothers, the Morgans, the Daltons, Doc Holiday, Billy the Kid, Wild Bill Hickock, and the rest of the gunfighters, circa the 1800s. Add to these the proliferation of bootleggers, gun dealers, buffalo hunters, gold miners, and panners alongside with the various tribes of Indians. Then, the disgruntled soldiers on both sides of the just-ended Civil War, not assigned to various walled Forts, were roaming loosely the plains where settlers run along their wagons on the trail also traversed by stagecoaches until the railroads got completed. Boy, there is just the conglomeration of opportunities and disasters. There is conflict in every sector imaginable, in the wilderness between the Indians and the settlers pushing further on Indian territory, and in the environs of the towns, the farmers are at war with the cattle raisers for domination of the land. Lawlessness was the rule of the day, if not the rule of the gun. This is the setting for the novel. Thanks for the interesting review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

It will probably be my first time reading about old Texas. Sure, I've seen the movies, but nothing compares to reading books! This is also my first time hearing about an ancient tribe of runners called the Tarahumara. I'm excited to see what this book has to teach me.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

With gambling, murder, and gangs, this story seems full of adventure. Historical fiction isn’t a favorite genre of mine, but I wouldn’t mind learning more about the Tarahumara tribe and their different hunting style! Glad the book was enjoyable!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

With three intertwined stories and a combination of history and Western fiction-including gun fights and cheating at cards-there seems to be something for just about every taste in this book. Interesting storylines and characters! Great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”