Official Review: Riding Shotgun on the Normal Stage

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Official Review: Riding Shotgun on the Normal Stage

Post by Sirlimu01 »

Riding Shotgun on the Normal stage is written by F RICHARD ALLEN. It's a 236 pages book a writer used historical fiction to express the ancient story of Texas. Normal etc. The plot captivate the readers interest and attention as it revolving the western life. He used stylish way to show how Clarence Withers murdered the notorous kilgory brothers for cheating at poker game and flee with Isidro to Normal to save his life and settle in fashion. The winning of poker table upset the local gambiers. When clarence heard about the arrival of kilgory brothers, he relayed it to local sheriff that they are coming to revange him. When they made their way to sheriff, they were killed by hanging. This was against wish of the people. The plot embodied three storyline put in a single tale with event of Normal taken as the central stage. In the book, we see Isidro an Indian man who seek greener pastures. Daniel Cooper an ex-soldier who become the new sheriff after dead of the former sheriff and others I give it 4 out of 4
pinchess07
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Zeva
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinchess07.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by pinchess07 »

I've never heard of Tarahumara before this, and they seem like amazing hunters! Also, who can ever turn away from ye olde days when a sheriff's word was the law? Great choice for BOTD!
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

Although not usually a genre I enjoy, your review has peaked my interest. I appreciate the concept of the intertwining of stories and the setting is one that allows for a number of different scenarios.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I like historical fiction but more so concerning Europe or early colonial times. I'm not sure I would enjoy old Texas. Thank you for the review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

As much as the premise interested me the synopsis didn't interest me. The story line is some what new, but I never felt the urge to read this book further. Thank you for commenting!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

I usually watch Westerns on TV and in the movies. Rarely do I read them if ever. Riding Shotgun on the Normal Stage by F Richard Allen is an interesting first in a long time and it promises a lot. The Amazon summary states that the book "provides an authentic historical perspective on the questions of race, sexuality, and killing in the old west." The crisp, sharp Hemingway style of writing by Allen suits the story best here.

Revenge killing is a form of justice in this world. For the Kilgorys whose brother, Bender, was killed by Clarence Withers, it is duty, an obligation, to settle the score the sooner the better. Instant justice by killing to write a wrong (card cheating) on the spot is par for the course. The brothers go off in the hunt for Clarence, town to town, poker table to poker table. If they have to rob and hurt people along the way to sustain the hunt, they do so. The direct witness to the killing of Bender is Isidro, a Native American Indian from the feared tribe of Tarahumara. I look forward to seeing his story arc. I'm curious about how Bud's life is going to play out. He's the youngest Kilgory and a reluctant cowboy it seems. Supergirl1's review states that many of the Kilgorys die when they march to Normal, the town where Clarence is said to be hiding. This is also the second time Normal town Sheriff Daniel Cooper will deal with the bloody mess Clarence's fights leave behind. Anyone game for a change of pace in their reading menu should try this book.
Sirlimu01

Post by Sirlimu01 »

Riding Shotgun on the Normal stage is written by F RICHARD ALLEN. It's a 236 pages book a writer used historical fiction to express the ancient story of Texas. Normal etc. The plot captivate the readers interest and attention as it revolving the western life. He used stylish way to show how Clarence Withers murdered the notorous kilgory brothers for cheating at poker game and flee with Isidro to Normal to save his life and settle in fashion. The winning of poker table upset the local gambiers. When clarence heard about the arrival of kilgory brothers, he relayed it to local sheriff that they are coming to revange him. When they made their way to sheriff, they were killed by hanging. This was against wish of the people. The plot embodied three storyline put in a single tale with event of Normal taken as the central stage. In the book, we see Isidro an Indian man who seek greener pastures. Daniel Cooper an ex-soldier who become the new sheriff after dead of the former sheriff and others I give it 4 out of 4
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

Sounds like an interesting book. I like how you mentioned the book contains three stories which are all intertwined. I'm sure this probably gives the book more depth as well as the charcters.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 »

I do enjoy a good historical fiction novel even though it sounds like this one is not totally historically accurate. Probably not something I would read based on the review.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

The plot of the narrative as outlined in your review sounds quite engaging.
Sirlimu01

Post by Sirlimu01 »

:D :? :arrow: :tiphat:
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

This is a really impressive historic fiction that shows how things happened in the old West. Thanks for the review.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

A very well done story intertwining three protagonists storylines.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Good review. Life in Normal sounds a little more than normal. Sounds like a good read.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

A nice and unique review, great job! I expect this novel to be interesting. I can imagine it with one of the popular western movie soundtrack (The good, the bad and the ugly or The Magnificent Seven) playing in my mind - just kidding! You can hardly go wrong with a western and if there is a sheriff (better if an ex-soldier), An Indian (with some tribal legend and stuff) and a flawed protagonist (a gambler is okay) then we are good. Congrats to the author on #BOTD
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Historical Fiction”