Official Review: Uncle Walter's Secret by Will Fenn

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Uncle Walter's Secret by Will Fenn

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Uncle Walter's Secret" by Will Fenn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Uncle Walter's Secret by Will Fenn is a historical fiction book set around the time of World War II. Members of the British intelligence community discuss the potential for new Prime Minister Winston Churchill to declare war against Adolf Hitler. One of them lets slip that "Boniface is working miracles". Boniface is a top-secret tool derived from breaking ciphers created on German Enigma coding machines. A stately home called Bletchley Park houses the unit established to break these ciphers.

Terry Sexton is born in England in 1920. Among his youthful interests are stamp-collecting and ham radio. He shows a strong aptitude for languages, learning French and German in school. He is also fascinated by history, particularly the Napoleonic wars. Using their radios, Terry and his friend Rich tune in to transmissions from all across Europe. Terry is especially appalled by the racist rantings of Adolf Hitler.

In 1936, at the age of sixteen, Terry volunteers to fight with the International Brigades in the Spanish civil war. He tries to persuade Rich to join him but Rich is a committed pacifist. Republican fighters bring Terry an Enigma coding machine they have captured from the Nationalists. British intelligence operatives capture him while he has the machine and decide to recruit him as a British field agent. After intensive training, they ship him to Poland to set up a resistance network, anticipating the German invasion and the outbreak of war.

This book covers a critical era in world history, which makes it intrinsically interesting for me. There is plenty of intrigue and a number of plot twists. For someone with an interest in the tactical and logistical aspects of war, the theory behind the Enigma machines and the code-breaking work at Bletchley Park is fascinating. The Enigma machine itself uses three wheels, with twenty-six contacts on each face, to encrypt messages in an ingenious way. The rotors rotate between key presses so that the same key, pressed multiple times, produces a different encoded letter each time. A fourth "reflector" wheel decodes the message on a receiving machine with rotors set up in the same positions as those in the sending machine.

Fenn's main characters are well drawn and realistic. His dialogue is good, although there is little of it throughout the book. Fenn tells the story mostly as a series of facts in uniform paragraphs like those of a textbook, which makes Uncle Walter's Secret quite dry to read. This does make some sense for historical fiction - and with Fenn's non-fiction writing background - but it also often violates the fiction writing principle of "show, don't tell". In Fenn's defense, he does cover many years of war in just over 200 pages. This at least ensures the narrative moves forward at a decent pace.

The book also has many minor errors. I found ten typographical and grammatical errors by the time I reached page 43. There are also errors on the back cover blurb, and some overly long sentences in the narrative could easily be cut in half. Overall, I rate Uncle Walter's Secret 3 out of 4 stars. Aside from the errors and the dry writing style, it is an intriguing tale of wartime espionage, networking, and code-breaking. Anyone sharing my interest in the tactical and logistical aspects of war would find much of value in this book. However, if you prefer your fiction played out through dialogue and character interaction, not told in such a dry, factual way, Uncle Walter's Secret is likely not for you.

Uncle Walter's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I am one who prefers dialogue and character interaction to dry textbook style, so this book isn't for me. I do like the title, and I appreciate your thorough review.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 21:07 I am one who prefers dialogue and character interaction to dry textbook style, so this book isn't for me. I do like the title, and I appreciate your thorough review.
I completely understand that. I am much the same, but I am also fascinated by the Enigma machines and the code-breaking done by the Allies in WWII, so I still found plenty of value in it for me.
mhouse19468
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mhouse19468 »

Much prefer a bit more drama which keeps me wanting more.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it's too bad about the errors. Still, I think this is worth reading. It sounds quite intriguing, and I love that the characters are realistic. Nice review. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

mhouse19468 wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 08:03 Much prefer a bit more drama which keeps me wanting more.
I can understand that. Usually I am the same, but I am interested in the subject matter of this one.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 07:45 Well, it's too bad about the errors. Still, I think this is worth reading. It sounds quite intriguing, and I love that the characters are realistic. Nice review. Thanks!
Thanks for your comments! I did still find this book very interesting despite its dry writing style.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Very interesting review. I like historical fiction stories that reveal unique information. This one sounds good. Nice job!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kdstrack wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 18:33 Very interesting review. I like historical fiction stories that reveal unique information. This one sounds good. Nice job!
Thanks. The technology of the Enigma machines and the code-breaking techniques are fascinating.

Return to “Historical Fiction”