Official Review: Hand of Silver, Hand of Gold

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Hand of Silver, Hand of Gold

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hand of Silver, Hand of Gold" by Christopher Grey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Orlando Novi has just lost his father; he was found dead in the canal. Everyone is saying he slipped, hit his head and then fell over into the water. But, Orlando is not convinced that this was an accidental death. He thinks it was murder, and he intends to find his father's killer.

In investigating, he finds a note in his father's cloak with the words, "Ottavo Street" written on it. When he goes to explore, he finds a secret workshop where his father was crafting a gauntlet from Leonardo da Vinci's design - a gauntlet that he supposedly didn't finish. But when Orlando finds a gauntlet that perfectly fits his hand, he knows there is more to the story than meets the eye.

Hand of Silver, Hand of Gold by Christopher Grey is a historical fiction/fantasy/coming of age novel. It has just under 400 pages. Set in Bologna, there is a bit of intrigue, some violence, riots and rumors of war, traitors and small bits of romance - something for everyone. The novel does contain violence, but nothing overly graphic. I believe it would be appropriate for high school age through adult.

It does seem that there are quite a few accurate historical details in the novel. Mr. Grey adds designs by Leonardo da Vinci into the plot as stated above. There was actually a ruler named Lord Giovanni in Bologna in the 15th century. However, I'm still not sure I actually learned much about that time period.

What I really enjoyed about this novel was the writing. The author certainly has a way with words and uses metaphors and alliteration to his advantage. The protagonist was even an aspiring poet, so there was some poetry gracing a few of the pages. There were also very few grammatical errors which tells me that this was professionally edited. Another plus for any book. Furthermore, the setting came alive with the descriptions. I really felt like I was in Bologna exploring the palazzo (palace) of Lord Giovanni complete with secret passageways. That makes any book standout.

On a frustrating note, though, I had a hard time relating to the characters. Orlando was seventeen years old, but he was so fickle that I really couldn't keep up with him. One minute he was proclaiming that this person was absolutely his father's murderer. He would find a way to expose him. Then he would decide that he was being foolish, and there was no proof. He went back and forth like this so many times, I just lost all faith in him. Even at the end, I didn't feel like he had developed or grown. There is an alchemist named Zeno in the book. At the beginning, he is evil. He changes suddenly, and the explanation didn't seem to fit. This made it harder for me to become involved in the story.

In addition, I felt the book took too long actually getting into the thick of the plot. There was so much wind-up, that by the time the ball actually left the pitcher's hand, it fell short of the mark. To me, it would have been much better if Orlando hadn't faltered around so much and found his father's gauntlet much sooner.

Overall, I give Hand of Silver, Hand of Gold 3 out of 4 stars. The author obviously knows how to craft a good story, but the characters could have used a bit of work and it was a bit slow to start. However, the descriptions, setting and author's way with words overshadow the negative aspects of the novel. I believe that this would appeal to fans of historical fantasy that know a bit about Bologna in the 15th century.

Hand of Silver, Hand of Gold
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Abdirahman478
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abdirahman478 »

Good reminds of sherlock holmes its great to hear such twist stories
Kashosi
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Kashosi »

It sounds very interesting, a want to read piece. Thank you for the review
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Yes! The reviewer did a good job there, I would like to get such an opportunity to read and review this one.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I prefer my historical fiction reading to enhance my understanding of the era or event. Too bad about the slow start and inability to relate to characters. I appreciate your insights here!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I love books like this. I'll ike to fins out who Orlando's father's murderer is, and how he finds out. But i dont like that the book started slow. I may not also like the same things you didn't like about the book. But I may give it a try when it comes my way. Thank you.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

It's a shame about Orlando. I can't enjoy a book if the main character doesn't grab my attention. I think I'll pass on this one. Great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I really like your descriptive review and I am a fan of historical fiction, so I initially liked the sound of this book. But I so relate to your point about a plot that feels like an anti-climax after an extensive build up, that I might think twice about this one..
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I find it difficult to get into a book if the protagonist isn't well developed, but I do appreciate your thorough review!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Oooh, a special gauntlet designed by Da Vinci... sounds interesting. A pity about the flat characters, because that idea definitely has some intrigue. Thanks for the awesome review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I really enjoyed your review. Think this is one I might like to read - even with your comments about not connecting with the characters. Should be interesting to see what this author does with da Vinci!!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a fascinating story, and it's great that the descriptions are top-notch. It's a pity about the characters though. Thanks for the review nonetheless!
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

Well, regardless of your frustrations, I will certainly pick this book up. The adventure in this sounds exciting.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I like that this book seems to be have something for every kind of reader. The fickleness shown by the 17-year-old might get me worked up a bit though; so, I am thinking this might not be the best time to try my hand at reading this book. Maybe another time.

Love reading your reviews!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks everyone! It was still a decent book despite the shortfalls. It would definitely be interesting to those that enjoy this sort of style!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Historical Fiction”