Official Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Official Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by stacie k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Police Action" by A. A. Freda.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Police Action is a historical fiction novel written by AA Freda. Because Freda served in the Vietnam War, he draws on his personal experiences to write with authority and authenticity. James Coppi, the main character, jumps into a relationship with teenager Samantha Powers just before deploying to Vietnam. After meeting at a country bar and dance hall, the two spend a night together. Sam unexpectedly reveals her deepest secret to James. How will he respond to the knowledge that she is carrying another man’s baby? Will their initial attraction be strong enough to sustain a relationship through the hardships presented by war? The tale is told by alternating between Sam’s and James’ experiences throughout the story. In addition to love and war, the themes of relationships and commitment are also explored.

A strong feature of this novel is the development of its characters. Commonly referred to as a coming-of-age story, it narrates the growth of James from an irresponsible rule-breaker to a man changed by his wartime experiences. Sam, too, starts out as a teenager in rebellion against her preacher father’s rules and develops to be an independent and capable woman. I must admit that I did not like James’ character through much of the narrative. He was a hustler who made his living from other people’s misfortunes, had no qualms about lying when it served his purpose, and somehow never received the consequences he was due.

In addition to the two main characters, Freda introduces the reader to supporting characters such as Sam’s friend (Kathy), the landlady, James’ fellow soldiers, and military personnel. The dialogue was believable and entertaining, particularly among the soldiers. There’s never a dull moment with James Coppi, which leads to a surprising amount of humor in a book of this nature. I found the Coke Conspiracy to be particularly amusing.

What I liked most about this book was the opportunity to learn more about the history of the Vietnam War. From cover to conclusion, it was packed with realistic accounts of the war, yet without gory battle scenes. Even the title was revealing of the conflicting attitudes America faced. The government refused to acknowledge the war, preferring to refer to it as a “police action.” Freda took care to describe even the smallest details, such as the proper procedure for removing a round from a mortar; descriptions of the environment of the battle field (sights, sounds, and even emotions); and the daily challenges of cleanliness, sickness, and sleep during wartime. I found it interesting that he observed that the women in Vietnam did the physical labor while the men supervised. The attention to detail was enlightening and not overwhelming or overdone in any way.

What I liked least about this book was the inclusion of explicit sex scenes. The story could have been just as strong without these scenes. Therefore, I would not recommend this book for younger audiences. I would also caution readers who are sensitive to the issue of abortion to steer clear. But for mature readers who enjoy stories of love and war, I recommend this book. There were a handful of minor editing errors such as missing spaces or commas, but they did not disrupt the flow of reading at all. Because of the author’s authentic presentation of history interwoven with well-drawn characters, I award A Police Action 4 out of 4 stars.

A Police Action
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stacie k's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This looks like a really well thought out book. I love it when the author takes the time to make the information relevant and correct. It makes reading it that much more enjoyable :)
Thanks so much for the awesome review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a plot I could really get into--except for the explicit sex scenes. Thanks for the heads up. I enjoyed your review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The Vietnam War is something that I think more books should be written about. This one sounds like it has some action, but it's definitely character-driven as well which I love. However, the explicit sex scenes are definitely a turn off for me. :( Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like a page-turner - it's great that the author took the time to develop the plot and to make sure that the characters are well-rounded. Thank you for the great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I really enjoyed your review. Your explanation about the title was enlightening. The historical sections about the war also sound intriguing. Great review. Thanks!
Boky
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Boky »

I really enjoy reading this book. It helped me a lot doing my simmer reading project and I recommend those who like this type of genre
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Nearly half way through your review, I was yet to understand what the author's rationale for the title had been. I was pleased to finally find out why later. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and well-considered insights. Though some of the themes aren't what I'd prefer, you made the book seem interesting enough.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It amazes me how there are many, many countries where the women AND children do the work while the men do the important stuff like talking politics and drinking beer. It’s a pity about the explicit sex, I always find that rather off-putting.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Great review. I have read a historical fiction novel before and it was well reserched to have the characters stories go with it. This sounds like it was reserched very well also.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

I would love to read a book about Vietnam war however I'm reluctant if this was another propaganda to glorify America as well as the correctness of this war. i love your review! :)
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

It's amazing how the aftermath of war can be a life changing experience to a person. I would like to read more of this story. Great review!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I have so many books about the Vietnam War I want to read and this one also sounds so great. And I love a well-researched book. Thank you for the thorough review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

One of my earlier reviews was for an autobiography of a US Navy pilot who participated in the Vietnam war. He surrendered his golden wings in disgust over what he felt was a useless and needlessly protracted war. I believe any and all wars are useless. (Maybe that's why I will never be a politician.)

This is another Vietnam war story from a different perspective. I would want to meet James, the hustler, and Sam, the rebel, and find out how the war impacted their lives.

Thanks for your insightful review, Stacie K.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I never knew that the Vietnam war was referred to as a police action rather than a war. Euphemisms about war are not so new, it seems. This book obviously provides details about the unpleasant realities like cleanliness and sleep during war. Thanks for the informative review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Historical Fiction”