Official Review: Dummers Lane by L. E. Barrett

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: Dummers Lane by L. E. Barrett

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dummers Lane" by L. E. Barrett.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

L.E. Barrett follows up on The Boys from Joppa with Dummers Lane, the second book in The Kennebec River Trilogy. In this instalment the police are chasing after the criminals responsible for murder and the biggest alcohol heist in Maine history; Deborah deals with the aftermath of Earl’s death; Rita is juggling her lover and her abusive husband; Martha and Bunny are outed for their carnal cravings, and Dip finds himself in the middle of all the trouble. Again.

As some might know, I loved The Boys from Joppa. L.E. Barrett has created an amazing cast of characters and has solidified Hollowell in my heart. The story is complex, slowly unraveling a mystery that becomes bigger with each untangled thread. I love how all the characters – all with wildly different stories – find themselves joined up in one huge mystery. I’ve never enjoyed so many different characters in one book. I’ve also never enjoyed a read that deals with so many themes and moods. One chapter might have me filled with dread and gasping at the cruelty people are capable of, while another is full of sensual appeal and dangerous love.

L.E. Barrett has also introduced Bunny Hunt, a character that sits right next to Dip in my heart. He’s an older gentleman struggling with being gay in the 1960s, but the thing I loved most is that Bunny loves himself. He doesn’t view who he is as something to be ashamed of. He’s a gentle soul and I loved how L.E Barrett wrote him. He’s Bunny Hunt, a great person that happens to be gay and not the gay man, Bunny. To me, that distinction is important because it emphasizes that sexual orientation does not change the soul.

The writing is fast, packed with action, and has an old-time feel that evokes an atmosphere that has me begging for the third installment of the Kennebec River Trilogy. I will also add, as I did in my first review of the trilogy, this book is for a mature audience. There are explicit sex scenes and violence, and this book deals with many darker themes like abuse, suicide, and violence.

The only problem I have with Dummers Lane is a series of missed commas. While they are numerous, it didn’t much hamper the flow of the book and I can’t bring myself to deduct a point for the errors. The book does look professionally edited and L.E. Barrett is a talented writer.

I rate Dummers Lane 4 out of 4 stars. Each page unfolds a greater story and gives life to Hollowell and her surreal residents. I would recommend Drummers Lane to those looking for a pulp fiction mystery that has you wondering who the real bad guys are, all topped off with some romance.

Dummers Lane
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review. I really like your description of the characters. Can this book be read as a standalone or do you suggest reading the first one before delving into this one? Thanks.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I can tell you really enjoyed this book! Sounds like a complex group of characters, and your enthusiasm is contagious. I'm wondering if I can jump right in with this one, or if you recommend starting with the first? Great review!
Charles86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Charles86 »

From the review, the write up is going to be intriguing. The characters have different roles to play in different mood and that will add spice to the book. I keep picturing the suspense in the drama from the review. What a great review!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the review! It really shows in your review how much you loved the book, and your enthusiasm is contagious! (:
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Although you obviously enjoyed this book, its dark content leaves me hesitant. Thanks for the information!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kdstrack wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 14:55 Great review. I really like your description of the characters. Can this book be read as a standalone or do you suggest reading the first one before delving into this one? Thanks.
OOOH I shoud have mentioned that. I would definitely say read the first and then the second. Thanks for the comment. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Cecilia_L wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 15:11 I can tell you really enjoyed this book! Sounds like a complex group of characters, and your enthusiasm is contagious. I'm wondering if I can jump right in with this one, or if you recommend starting with the first? Great review!
I really should have mentioned that in my review :lol2: I would recommend reading the first book before Dummers Lane. :tiphat: And I really enjoyed the read.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Charles86 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 19:30 From the review, the write up is going to be intriguing. The characters have different roles to play in different mood and that will add spice to the book. I keep picturing the suspense in the drama from the review. What a great review!
Thank you so much! And you explain it perfectly. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

gen_g wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 21:40 Thank you for the review! It really shows in your review how much you loved the book, and your enthusiasm is contagious! (:
I really did enjoy it. I just hope those who choose to read it love it too.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

stacie k wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 00:54 Although you obviously enjoyed this book, its dark content leaves me hesitant. Thanks for the information!
I can completely understand it. The author deals with a few things that are a bit taboo and there is no hesitation about delving into a bit more 'real' situations. While I do love it, I can completely understand being a bit hesitant. If you ever feel like reading something a bit darker then do pick up this read. :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Missed commas don't bother me very much. It's not one of my pet peeve grammatical errors. Now if it was overuse of commas, that would be another thing. Still, I think I'd be better off with starting with the first book first. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a really interesting series, but the cover art is just so awful. Looks like vintage Hardy Boys!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Still not a series I would personally read, but your series of reviews on them is a delight. Your phraseology frequently has me saying, "Oh, that's a good line!" Thanks.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I just must read this book, I'll search for it and get it, it sounds too interesting already and has whet my appetite..

Thanks for this awesome hint!!

Return to “Historical Fiction”