Review by DorcasToo -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
DorcasToo
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by DorcasToo -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by DorcasToo » 23 Jun 2018, 15:18

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga's war is the first book in a three book series. A historical fiction set in three different locations. It begins during the Syrian war. A captivating story of two friends Jack O' Brien, Jacko, and James Munro, Jamie. These two take us on a roller coasting adventure set in the 1940s. A beautiful story showcasing several themes including war, espionage, betrayal, hypocrisy amongst many others.

Jacko saves the life of Jamie during the Syrian war to mark the beginning of a lifesaving friendship. In August of 1941, they start work in Cairo, Egypt, as M16 agents. During this time Cairo is known as a hub of information critical for the war. They easily create relations with the local belly dancers who trade information for money.

In Cairo they work with a fellow Aussie, Matt MacAulay, also an agent. He has scars on his face and claims to have been injured by barbed wire in Eastern Libya. The trio easily work together sabotaging efforts by German agents. Their efforts are rewarded as they help bring down Rommel and his army. A series of rape and murder cases causes alarm to both the local police and M16 agents. The crimes continue as they realize it seems like a random case with no specific target or motive. As Matt leaves for Australia a major discovery is made; he is a criminal.
Greg Kater has done an amazing job in this book. The book is well researched remaining factual. Despite this being a work of fiction, it easily gives you a vivid imagination of the scenes.There are no filler scenes making the storyline a smooth one. There is a coordinated transition from one location to the next.

I love how the author has blended several languages. The variations in the language use highlights the difference in the characters to make them unique. The examples highlighted below shed better light.
1. Sarah, who isn't educated, speaks the local Aborigine dialect.
2. The locals in Cairo speak French.
3. Finally, Jamie, Jacko and the other M16 agents speak English.

The author has worked his way around words in perfect this hence making it understandable. Also, it is well edited with no typos or mistakes. Well written too with a beautiful plot.

Therefore, I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. The book has very slight violence and sexual scenes hence a good general read. I would recommend the book for anyone who loves historical fiction.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like DorcasToo's review? Post a comment saying so!
He lays me besides still waters. He prepares a banquet before my enemies.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall not fear.
For the Lord is my Shepherd
:techie-reference:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”