Official Review: Rite of passage by Grover peaceman

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Re: Official Review: Rite of passage by Grover peaceman

Post by revna01 »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 22:59 The book has potential but the poor editing is the bummer. I will only read this after it is well-edited. Thank you for your detailed review on this.
Good call :)
Thanks for reading and commenting!
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

strawberrysab wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 17:05 Thank you for your review. I read a few books about Native Americans and I was hoping to add this one to the list, so I hope the author will invest in editing and proofreading.
As do I. Thanks so much for reading and commenting!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Suzy1611 wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 18:33 Thanks for the book review of Native American people. Good review.
Thanks for stopping by to read and comment on my review!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

celeste1974 wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 18:39 I liked this review. I don't have a stitch of Native American blood in me(that I am aware)but my husband and his family are. Despite the errors, it sounds like an interesting book to read.
Thank you for reading and commenting. I appreciate it!
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

The errors would be irritating for me, but this book sounds close enough to Sherman alexie's work that I might really like it.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. Such potential in that book! Such a shame it wasn’t edited properly.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like the book is a real cultural experience.
Slickalphy
Currently Reading: 4 Shots
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Slickalphy »

I'm definitely getting this one. The Indian Americans have always being a mystery to me and seems this book have serious cultural exposures to fill my curiosity outside the movies and of course love has to come in. Nice job SAB!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

bclayton13 wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 21:29 The errors would be irritating for me, but this book sounds close enough to Sherman alexie's work that I might really like it.
Well now I'll have to look into Sherman Alexie! This book just needs a (substantial) makeover, but the material is excellent. Thanks for reading and commenting :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 05:55 Great review. Such potential in that book! Such a shame it wasn’t edited properly.
It's a book I would love to see done-up properly; we'd be in for a treat. Thanks so much for your comments :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

teacherjh wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 17:31 It sounds like the book is a real cultural experience.
I agree with you. It has a different kind of focus, style, appeal to it. Thanks for commenting :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Slickalphy wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 10:59 I'm definitely getting this one. The Indian Americans have always being a mystery to me and seems this book have serious cultural exposures to fill my curiosity outside the movies and of course love has to come in. Nice job SAB!
The Indian Americans are a mystery to most, I believe. Certainly for me! I love being presented with information that helps me gain a better understanding of their beliefs, practices, and perceptions. Thanks for reading and commenting :)
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

This sounds like a great insight into a unique culture. I love learning about different groups and their traditions, and Native American traditions are particularly steeped in lore. A real shame about the errors, but hopefully these can be fixed!
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

Culture is always fascinating to read about. Learning what generally makes a group of people tick or the basis for their traditions is fun. A pity the editing of this book is substandard.

Return to “Historical Fiction”