Official Review: My Friend Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: My Friend Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Friend Marilyn" by Christopher Lentz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Friend Marilyn is a novel by Christopher Lentz. It is one of his novels in The Great American Destination Series. It is a historical-fiction story with a dose of romance. The story revolves around the life of Marilyn Monroe in Hotel Coronado during the production of Some Like It Hot.

The book consists of 82 chapters. At the beginning of every chapter, the author gives details of where and when the events in the chapter happen. I liked this aspect of the book.

When I first saw the title of the book, I thought that Marilyn would be the main character of the story. However, the book proved otherwise. Penny Parker takes the lead in the story. She is a plus-size girl who got lucky and was chosen to be one of Marilyn Monroe’s assistants during the shooting of the film. Her encounter with the beautiful actress changed her life forever.

The author’s creativity kept me wanting to know more about the story. The introduction of new characters did not alter the flow of the story. Frankie, Penny’s favorite man, enables the reader to connect with her in a deeper manner. Both of them have been victims of bullying and dysfunctional families. Penny left her parents' home to escape the emotional wounds that come with a broken family. She finds a haven in Trudy’s house. It was while at Trudy’s that she was lucky to get an invitation to work for the famous actress. The events that happened after the invitation changed her life for the best.

I liked many aspects of the book. The author’s style of writing is simple and easy to understand. He has masterfully developed the characters. I loved how the author used real-life events to create a historical fiction piece that is nothing short of excellent. His ability to paint scenes and events with words made me feel like I was watching a movie. In some instances, the author goes poetic to deliver his message to the reader. In addition, the transitions between chapters are smooth.

My Friend Marilyn is really an absorbing piece. However, I felt that the author gave it a quick ending. I would have loved to know more about the lives of Frankie, Penny, and Chip, the new addition to their “family”. Nevertheless, it is a professionally written book with an incredible story and a brilliant plot. It deserves a perfect score. Thus, I give it 4 out of 4 stars. The few errors that I came across while reading the book did not distract me from enjoying the story. Therefore, I would not give it a lower rating. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in reading a good piece of historical fiction packed with a mild dose of mystery and romance.

My Friend Marilyn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Your review has me interested to read the book myself. I enjoy learning from historical fiction, especially when the characters are well drawn. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

For a moment (never trust a title) I was led to believe this was the umpteenth story of Marylin. Glad to be proven wrong and I absolutely love the alternative idea of her assistant taking the romantic lead in the story. I'm adding it to my reading list!
Berry :wine:
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I thought it was a story centered to Marilyn Monroe. This will be something new to read as it was not the case.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

82 chapters! That's big! I hope the story can maintain the attention of its readers. How many pages does the book have? Sounds happy-go story. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't know a whole lot about Marilyn Monroe, so this book sounds quite interesting. I also love the fact that it's from Penny's perspective while she worked with Marilyn. Thanks for the great review. Sounds like a good book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

After reading your review, I'm really interested in this book. Finding out that the book's main character is the assistant makes it more appealing to me.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

82 chapters! I wonder how many pages is that?

This book sounds interesting. I think the number of pages doesn't matter to me when a book sounds promising with an interesting plot. Thank you for your detailed review on this.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

stacie k wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 00:39 Your review has me interested to read the book myself. I enjoy learning from historical fiction, especially when the characters are well drawn. Thanks for a great review!

It is a good book. You are much welcome :)
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 00:05 82 chapters! I wonder how many pages is that?

This book sounds interesting. I think the number of pages doesn't matter to me when a book sounds promising with an interesting plot. Thank you for your detailed review on this.
You are right, "the number of pages doesn't matter to me when a book sounds promising...". Welcome :tiphat:
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Cecilia_L wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 21:08 After reading your review, I'm really interested in this book. Finding out that the book's main character is the assistant makes it more appealing to me.

It is a lovely piece of creativity :) :)
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

kandscreeley wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 07:54 I don't know a whole lot about Marilyn Monroe, so this book sounds quite interesting. I also love the fact that it's from Penny's perspective while she worked with Marilyn. Thanks for the great review. Sounds like a good book.
You are much welcome. It is indeed a great book :tiphat: :tiphat:
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 03:08 82 chapters! That's big! I hope the story can maintain the attention of its readers. How many pages does the book have? Sounds happy-go story. Thank you for your review!

It is a long book. Someone just reminded me that, "the number of pages doesn't matter when a book sounds promising." Much welcome
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Riszell wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 02:39 I thought it was a story centered to Marilyn Monroe. This will be something new to read as it was not the case.
Yes, Marilyn Monroe is not the star in this one.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I'm excited to read this one! The mix of historical fact and fiction is something I love in stories. The Hotel del Coronado and Marilyn Monroe have always interested me. Thanks for bringing this book to my attention through your engaging review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Historical Fiction”