Official Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Re: Official Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Julehart1 »

This sounds like an interesting read. Historical Fiction is not my favorite genre but I could see how this book can draw you in. It seems like it's a coming of age story but also focuses on the horrors of war. It's too bad about all the grammar errors. Thanks for your review.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

A shame about the editing mistakes. This book sounds fantastic and is definitely the sort of historical fiction Iโ€™d be interested in reading. Thanks for your review!
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

A story of the hardships and atrocities in the middle of a World War. Becoming a man the hard way. Slauthered family. Survival. All the elements of a great book. Reading it is a must to learn how was living in the middle of the conflict. Congratulations on BOTD.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Historical fiction has become one of my favorite genres. I like the setting of the story and the author's creativity in character development e.g. Kamel grows from a frightened child to a reliable and strong man. It sounds really interesting. I will add it to my to-read list. Great review.
Doris Mbotela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do57.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Doris Mbotela »

The review makes it sound interesting to read. I would definitely like to know how they overcame obstacles as they escaped. The cover of the book makes it seem like a science fiction.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story kamel is very sad and heart wrenching. The author beautifully depicted all events pertaining to war.good review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

This is a great review, thanks for being honest and frank. Sounds like a good book for me to read, historical fiction is my favourite!
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

This sounds like a war tale. I am not a fan of historical fiction and war stories. The sample, the review, and the language made me think that this is not my kind of a novel. This looks like a book for those who want to read war stories.
glory98
Currently Reading: One Way or Another (The Sisters Quartet)
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by glory98 »

I avoid books that has to do with WW1,WW2 and so on but this particular book has caught my attention and most of it,the use of French in this book .I'm reading it now
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Its sometimes prudent to take your destiny into your hands in order to survive.Kamal has done just exactly that. I can see the story is superb. Good review.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I have, in recent times, come to love histprical fiction. Furthermore, this touches on a topic I love most and that is the world wars and the Nazis. This is my absolite type of book. I love this. Great review brw
MA
Onat
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Onat »

Normally i don't like historical fictions, but this review is great, i think i will check the book out. nice review.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

A tale about a young boy's wartime experiences and his journey into adulthood. It seems like a very touching story. Thanks for the review.
Lenza
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Lenza »

From the review, this book seems quite interesting. Right after finding the love of your life and thinking all is fine, you are surprised with your whole family slaughtered and having to flee.
socleva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by socleva »

Stories of survival as most often brought about by sudden turn of events makes this story not only Kamel's story but everyone's else's story. Kamel is torn to pieces by the devastation brought upon the homestead as it is overrun by German troops.

He and his Grandfather leave for the safety of Verdun only to find it is the center of war. This for anyone is too much to bear and how he musters up the courage and the strength to go through all of it makes this story worth reading.

While it is a work of fiction, it can be a source of encouragement for anyone going through such unpleasant turns of events-as to leave them asking what did they ever do wrong in this world, to never give up. This book can make your day.

Return to โ€œHistorical Fictionโ€