Official Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melni
Favorite Book: Swept Away
Currently Reading: Higher Is Waiting
Bookshelf Size: 1275

Re: Official Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by melni »

Well, this sounds like a really intense book! It's one thing to want to leave home and pursue a better and different life; but it's entirely a cruel turn of events to witness your families' demise and have your home and security torn from you! Thank you for sharing your review with us and even though historical fiction is not my favorite genre, I have added this to my want to read list! War in itself is a tear maker, so I'll have my tissues ready with this book!
Bernardine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bernardine »

I love how the story was written by Kamel. That way you know everything written is legit. Sounds like a very interesting book.
S Chinaski
Currently Reading: Before They're Gone
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshiercat.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by S Chinaski »

Thank you for a compelling and well-written review! I'm a fan of properly executed historical fiction, and will definitely be adding this one to my list!
Surakshita-11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surakshita-11.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Surakshita-11 »

I am personnally a lover of historical books. I will definitely read this book.
Thanks for the review..
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

I usually try to steer clear of books that make me cry. However, your review surely motivates me to give this a try. I like the fact that the protagonist narrates the story and I can literally experience him go through a metamorphosis.
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
Wendolyn Akoto-Bamfo

Post by Wendolyn Akoto-Bamfo »

Kamel, from the review sounds like an interesting story.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

I think this will be a good book to enlightened people about the Germans during World War. It is not the entire nation that wanted to get involved in war. Many commoner German nationals are innocent and trying to survive and live in peace as well. We seem to perceived that Germans are like their leaders which is not. More books like this should be published. Thanks for your great review!! :)
serahtemples
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by serahtemples »

This book is so interesting, it says alot about the life of a young french boy growing up and the challenges he faced into becoming a man of his dreams.
osayuwamen6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osayuwamen6.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by osayuwamen6 »

Intriguing review! I would want to know more about this book because this review was insightful, its an heartwarming story that left me wandering what happened to kamel afterward.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

This seems like a very interesting book indeed. Thank you for your well informed review. Most people would never notice grammaticals errors in other languages.
Hannahrg
Currently Reading: Survivor's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahrg.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Hannahrg »

I love studying the history of a particular country and how wars and battles affected the lives of people, similarly to what's narrated in this book based on the review about a boy who wanted to experience all the positivity in life but ended up running for his life because of the world war.

Indeed, the consequences of war are brutal and break people, tears families apart but people have strong hearts and will always rise up to the occasion. Reading this book will be informative and educational.
Elvo+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Elvo+ »

Kamel's story is Just one in a million,
You can imaging a young boy growing with full of ambition for the betterment of his future to show that he is a man who made it in life by himself not by what his parents had worked for and willed it to him and again, oh love, we all know what love is to a teenager, heart vibrating affair, just when he felt love, that tragedy of world war 1 came and shattered all his feelings about love, Also the thought he had of leaving his parents to go and settle elsewhere was realized but unfortunately for him in a disastrous manner, slaughtering of his father, I believe he thought after words that thing should be like at first back at home but too late. Not withstanding I also believed that all he must have gone through during the war contributed to his manhood today, oh what a furnace fire method of becoming a real man? I will like to read this tradegy friction story till the end to feel his agony through to his freeman life presently. Great one there.
msomigreat
Currently Reading: Abducted
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msomigreat.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by msomigreat »

as they say if it is not the strongest who survive, then it will be the smartest. Indeed, this historical story told during the time of world war 1 indicates that sometimes we have to become what we never thought we would ever become in order to survive, especially when faced with adversity.
eliza01
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci

Post by eliza01 »

im very related on the story. i remember my childhood days. i want to grow old and i want to have a freedom.
and then im here now realizing that being a child is much better..
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

To capture the horrors of war from a child's perspective is quite a feat. The review suggests the writer goes far in doing this. That it is historical fiction should not take away from the central problem of a child cast into one of the most frightening experiences imaginable. I like the image of the molding bread as it makes a good analogy of passing from innocence to experience.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays

Return to “Historical Fiction”