Official Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Re: Official Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

A heart-wrenching story that shows the protagonist gradually morphing from a child into a mature 'man' because of the unfortunate and horrific events he faces during World War I. I believe this is a must-read for all. Thanks for your review. It conveyed the theme of the book very nicely.
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

As always I appreciate a score reflecting the manuscript in question and not the story told. While reading the first chapter I also found some translation errors. However I was hooked from the first line. I didn’t expect the story to take such a dark turn as the review speaks of.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

This was an interesting story of the citizens of France during WWI. As a historical fiction it was well written and worth another look. Well done.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

It sounds like a heart wrenching tale. The things that war does to adults is bad enough, but the poor children....
It just rips me right in my gut. I can tell by your review that the story is a good one, errors and all. I just don't think I can handle reading it. I get too emotionally invested. Even when it's fiction. I think it's because I know that maybe it's not real this time, but for someone out there...It could be.

You did a great job with the review. Thank you 💕
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like the sound of this book's narrative. I would really like reading about Kamel's perspective on the war. I would like to read about his forced transition from an innocent boy to a hardened man. Thanks for the great review.
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

it depicts life for the average citizen caught up in the horror of war.
These are awful kinds of stories but they are so hard to read. So sad.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Kamel found himself caught between his desire for a new life and a war. That was the first world war, also the first for him to encounter. He was drawn into the ravages of the war, witnessing its atrocities and its hardships and struggles at survival. This will be an enthralling read. Thanks for your informative review.
Book lover26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover26.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Book lover26 »

Historical fiction is not a genre i tend to read, ever. But after reading your review i decided to give it a go anyway, so far on to chapter 2 and i just want to keep reading. Thanks for a great review.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3840
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I think this sounds like an amazing story. Often the most compelling stories surrounding an important part of history are gritty. It's to be expected because World War I was horrible. It's too bad about the grammar issues, but I think I can get past that if the story is good. Thanks for your review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
tgerrell3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tgerrell3 »

I appreciate your dedication to grammar. While historical fiction is not necessarily my personal favorite, this coming of age tale seems to have enough in the way of development to warrant a read.
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Gracie777 »

It's a while since I have read a review that convinces me to really want to read a certain book. Your review brings it home for me. I am now curious to see how Kamel grows from a point of pure childlike innocence to quickly developing required strength for his journey. Thanks for your well-written review.
Desertsapper
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desertsapper.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Desertsapper »

Fantastic review. I wasn’t sure by the cover if this was another post-apocalyptic future book, but your review clarified that it is historical fiction. I look forward to reading about Kamel and his grandfather fighting to survive the Great War. As a soldier, I’ve often reflected on how difficult it must have been to be a civilian trying to survive in the places I’ve patrolled armed. You can often read it on their faces. I’ll be very much interested in seeing if the author can truly capture that degree of terror and hopelessness that war brings to normal people trying to live their lives. Thanks again.
Samanthajayne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthajayne12.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Samanthajayne12 »

I'm not a huge of historical fiction but this book does sound very interesting and very intense! Kamel goes through so much at such a young age and has to face many things that a child should never have to go through alone!
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

Good review. I'm a fan of historical fiction, and the summary of this book intrigued me. I want to know how Kamel, who still a child, changes as a result of war.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

While I love historical fiction and good character development, this book might be a little too emotional for me to bear at this time. I won't reject it immediately as it sounds like a very good read; I'm just afraid it will affect me TOO MUCH. Thank you for the thorough and itself review!
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss

Return to “Historical Fiction”