Review by Imman D -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Imman D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imman-d.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Review by Imman D -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Imman D » 13 Jun 2018, 04:39

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater is set in the period of World War II. It starts us off in the front lines of the war in Syria and the beginnings of a true and unlikely friendship between two Australians, Jamie and Jacko. Both become inseparable as they are promoted and are tasked with espionage in the city of Cairo, and finally to an intense man-hunt in the outbacks of northern Australia.

From Egyptian belly dancers to Germans acting as fake Americans to British officers to Australian pioneers to Native Aborigines, the characters in each stage of the book were intriguing and entertaining. It was hard not to fall in love with all of them, and yet it would be one of the main characters, Jacko, who would steal the show. I believe the title of the book is named after him. His unbelievable skill with a gun, his fighting prowess, his tracking ability kept you in awe. And yet what made him so endearing was his humor which kept the book fun to read.

The book was full of historical sites which made me want to learn more about the war in the those areas. It was a reminder that it was a world war and so many countries were affected and in so many ways. Many effects we still feel today.

The book also gave me a different perspective on World War II. I sometimes forget that life still went on as the war raged on between the Allies and the Axis. People still needed to make a living to feed their families despite fighting all around you. People still went to shows to entertain themselves, even a drink with buddies with the sound of bombshells in the background. This book gave me an inside look at those many lives.

As this great battle waged on you still had individuals fighting crime within their district. Life continued on despite this backdrop of war. Life in all its beauty like finding love in the unlikeliest of places and life in its most ugliest form like the crazy rampage of a rapist. At the end of the day, life will continue to moving forward, and it is what we do as individuals that will dictate what life will become, as can be seen from the actions of Jamie and Jacko throughout the story.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I loved the book. I finished it in five days because it has hard to put down, and that to me is a sign of a great read!

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Imman D's review? Post a comment saying so!

NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by NuelUkah » 05 Aug 2018, 16:56

I like stories about the military. Quite unfortunate the stories are also accompanied by war stories.

Greg did a great job creating imaginary scenes in the reader's mind with the help of James and Jack.

Well developed story and educative as well.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...

Abigail R
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 108
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R » 05 Aug 2018, 22:07

I am not one of historical fiction or war stories but this is a great review! Thanks!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”