Official Review: Mother of Peace by Carol Klavon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Mother of Peace by Carol Klavon

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mother of Peace" by Carol Klavon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

She remembers very little of her tortuous time in the cave. Salome was young, confused and alone. Just as she prayed for her death, she began to feel relief and understanding. Author Carol Klavon takes the reader on a dark and exotic adventure in Mother of Peace.

Herodias urged her beautiful daughter, Salome, to seduce her step-father. King Herod held Rav Yochanan prisoner, and his wife, Herodias, could not bear it. She wanted Rav Yochanan dead, and young Salome would be the one to convince her husband to call for his execution. She did not want to do it, but she did. Salome performed her seductive dance of the Seven Veils. When the dance was done, King Herod offered Salome anything that she desired. As instructed by her mother, Salome asked for the head of Rav Yochanan on a platter. King Herod obliged. Ashamed, disgusted, and saddened, Salome ran away from her family and her life as a princess. As a thirteen-year-old girl, Salome set off on her own and began her new life that would lead her to her destiny.

This is an intriguing short read. I read this novella, did a few hours of Biblical research, and read this novella again. I am not incredibly familiar with many of the stories from the Bible. There is virtually no information about Salome after her performance of the dance of the Seven Veils. This book gives her an amazing life story. I cannot say that this is a story of redemption because Salome was thirteen years old when her life changed. I can, however, call it a story of triumph.

I believe that it was the author’s intent to tell the stories of Salome, Mariam Magdala, and Yeshua through the perspective of a woman. Mariam Magdala and Yeshua are the Hebrew names of Mary Magdalene and Jesus. She took care to highlight the strength of the women in the company of Yeshusa.

This is a well-written and well-organized book. Carol Klavon’s writing is quite captivating with her magical use of metaphors. Her expert use of descriptive language creates a pleasurable reading experience. The editing of this book was perfectly done. There were no mistakes to be found.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This story held my attention through to the end. Salome’s story is entertaining as well as inspiring. Mother of Peace is a romantic, magical, and suspenseful tale of survival.

Mother of Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
gikunda
Favorite Book: Toni the Superhero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by gikunda »

The book is marvelous, it really made my day yesterday.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Entertaining and inspirational with great description and expertly-used metaphors: sounds like a beautifully written recreation of a pivotal Bible story. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love stories that expand on Biblical accounts, even if it is speculation. This one intrigued me right away, mostly because I have never thought about that particular Bible story from the point-of-view of the daughter of Herodias. I've never asked myself: What was her story? What happened to her afterward? I love it when authors do ask themselves these questions and get creative. Thanks for the recommendation and another great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a compelling read. I don't read biblical books but I think it will be nice to know what really happened. Thank you for your delightful review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

This sounds intriguing but I don't think I'd be reading this one.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I'm not usually fan of biblical historical fiction. But I might give this one a try. Thanks for the good review.
Fpadrogado50170293
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fpadrogado50170293 »

Ill take time to read this, since it involves religion.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

Sounds interesting but controversial.

Return to “Historical Fiction”