Official Review: The Bee Keeper's Daughter

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: The Bee Keeper's Daughter

Post by lesler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bee Keeper's Daughter" by Shiån Serei.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bee Keeper's Daughter by Shian Serei is the initial journey of a Russian peasant named Maria, as a turn of tragic events forces her out of her home into hiding. To avoid capture by soldiers, she must travel North on the Volga River to find safety with relatives in a distant city. Maria is forced to grow up fast from a simple farm girl as a stowaway on a ship, meeting some incredible people along the way, as she struggles with past events in order to shape her future.

In this journey Maria meets a woman named Svetna who is a slave on this ship, cooking and cleaning in order to pay her deceased father's debts. Life as the only female on a ship is never easy, and Maria learns what it takes to survive. This story of full of passion, violence, and details the history of Russia from centuries ago.

I loved this book and connected to Maria quickly. There is a lot of sexual imagery portrayed early in this book, and I do not recommend it for young readers. The novel was originally written in Russian and still used Russian phrases throughout the book with a glossary of terms at the book's conclusion. This made for some confusing reading. It was well written, with few grammatical and spelling errors. This book is the first of five, so a lot of time was spent setting up the storyline.

A fascinating part of this book is the intricate look into a large commercial ship of the 19th or 20th century. The main character spends time on two different ships of different sizes, and I enjoyed learning how a commercial ship differed from a travel ship for tourists. I learned about the duties of the ship crew, including the captain, quartermaster, chaplain, cook, and captain's assistant. The novel gives a firsthand account of what happens when the ship reaches port, and how the ship is a type of community. For instance, when a member of the crew is murdered, a trial is held immediately with the captain acting as judge.

I give The Beekeeper's Daughter 4 out of 4 stars, for its' excellent pacing, fascinating storyline, and historical references. There is a considerable amount of sexual references, graphic violence, and profanity throughout the novel, so proceed with caution. I recommend this book for mature readers who are interested in a passionate tale of a girl in Russia learning how to grow up in the worst way possible.

The Bee Keeper's Daughter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

The premise, attention to detail, and glimpses into Russian history and ships really intrigues me, but I don't think I can handle the "sexual references, graphic violence, and profanity throughout." Sounds like a well-written novel, though. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Sounds like a well-written tale with an interesting plot. I think I will enjoy this book!
Thanks for your review.
Juliablaya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Juliablaya »

I think it is unique. I'm not gonna bored while reading this story
allsheila6gmailcom
Currently Reading: Emotional Cure for Autism
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by allsheila6gmailcom »

I am intrigued by and attracted to books that shed light on a culture and teach you while you are caught up in the story. I plan on reading this one.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The book seem promising. Introducing the story to build upon the grounds of Russia and Russian culture is something for anyone interested in knowing about it. This story is based on survival and endurance of a hard journey which is compelling enough for me to read. This is something new, I will give it a try. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I feel like this is a book I would read. I liked your review of it.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like a very well-executed story with some interesting historical references and a bit of spice! Always great to find a well-paced book with a fascinating story. Nice review!
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

History turns me away . The story sounds great though. Thanks for the awesome review.
kdawes17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kdawes17 »

In this story Maria is a very young girl who's life is getting ready to change ,and she doesn't know what she's in for.Maria whole world was turned upsided down and she didn't even realizes how fast she had to grow up in order to get herself ready for the future.
Hamza bajwa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hamza bajwa »

she's in for.Maria whole world was turned upsided down and she didn't even realizes how fast she had to grow up in order to get herself ready for the future.
swathi882
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by swathi882 »

interesting one... the characters and their background seems like strong as per their names...
this is not the book with imaginations....,this is the book with realities in the form of a story...
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

In Russian language, there is no such name as "Svetna". :shock2:
There is the first name "Svetlana", which means "Light Woman" or "Woman Who Is Light". The abbreviated form from "Svetlana" is "Sveta." This "Svetna" looks as if the author or translator has confused the full and abbreviated form of this name.
However, the review is written very well.

Return to “Historical Fiction”