Official Review: Kitchen Dancing by Veronica Hughes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Official Review: Kitchen Dancing by Veronica Hughes

Post by Lennycat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kitchen Dancing" by Veronica Hughes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beginning in 1845, nearly 2,000,000 immigrants from Ireland came to the United States by way of Ellis Island. Hungry, poor, and sick, they glimpsed Lady Liberty from their ship as they passed her reassuring figure rising from the water in the New York City harbor. Each of these immigrants had a hope for a better life and the promise of a future for their children and their children’s children. They were ready to take on the new challenges that living in America would bring.

For seven years, The Great Hunger swept over Ireland and decimated the people’s crops of potatoes for which they were completely dependent upon. These Irish immigrants also sought to escape Britain’s political, religious, and economic stranglehold that kept them in poverty and refused them the right to own their own land, get jobs, and practice their faith, leaving no hope for a brighter tomorrow.

Kitchen Dancing by Veronica Hughes tells such a story about a post-Famine family in the 1890s from Ballynamona, County Meath. Mary Kate, Rose, and Elizabeth are sisters that play the central characters of the story. The decision has been made by their Father and Grandfather that the sisters will move to America to be with their Uncle Nate in Newark, New Jersey. But Mary Kate has other plans that involve going to school and marrying her sweetheart. She has no wish to go to America and expresses her sorrow while confiding in the family cow named Bessie.

The story goes back and forth between Mary Kate’s life as she remains in Ireland and looks forward to moving to Dublin to attend nursing school and the other two sisters, Rose and Elizabeth, as they struggle to navigate through the challenges of their new life in Newark, New Jersey. They go to live with their Uncle Nate who rents a boarding house owned by Liam McCann.

But Uncle Nate isn't all that he seems to be and jobs are scarce for the new and unwanted Irish immigrants. Will Mary Kate gain permission from her father to marry Edmund when she finishes school? Will Rose find love with the handsome steward that she dances with each night with on the ship to America?

Veronica Hughes relays a charming account of what family life was like in the 1890s, somewhat reminiscent of Louisa May Alcott’s book Little Women. She provides well-placed details that draw the reader into a world that contains hardship and poverty but that also contains love. My favorite part of the book was a character named Dr. Tevac. This character added an air of magical quality to the plot and he seemed to live in between the worlds of the humans and the faeries. He is known as the County witch doctor and it is said that he holds special powers and can cure various ailments. His presence is sprinkled throughout the book but he provides a very strong role that may bring life or death to the other characters in the book.

Technical errors scattered throughout the book were distracting and sometimes slowed down the rhythm of the book. The storyline fizzled out toward the end and I felt that some of the secondary characters needed further development. I would have liked to have been taken further into the story with the climax of the plot. What should have been one of the highest points in the book was a bit of a letdown.

That being said, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would have liked to give this book 3.5 stars if it were possible because there was a lot of poignant moments about the simple family life in turn-of-the-century Ireland that felt deserving of a 4-star rating. However, there were some technical errors scattered throughout and the storyline seemed to fizzle out at the end, leaving me wanting more. I would recommend this book to others who enjoy historical fiction and stories that contain a little bit of magic.

Kitchen Dancing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lennycat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

After I read your review I have a question about this book, does the author exaggerate the story? Thank you for your detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

Hello and thank you for your question. No, the author does not exaggerate the story. It is written with great sensitivity and in a way that you get emotionally attached to the characters.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love reading about Ireland in that time period. I can only imagine what they had to deal with. This sounds like a nice, enjoyable read. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

“The storyline fizzled out towards the end” — it is disappointing when grander, more epic novels do that, isn’t it? Readers want all the plot threads tied up in most cases.

Thanks for thIs review.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I enjoy historical fiction and would probably enjoy this book. But, I must say, the cover is not enticing whatsoever.
Otherwise, great review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Historical fiction is 1 of my favourite genres. I have read about the Asians moving to America but never about the Irish to America. This book is a good start to read about them.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nimat87 »

The storyline seems interesting. I especially love the fact that it's historical fiction.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:

Return to “Historical Fiction”