Official Review: Carmela by L. Facenna Goss

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Carmela by L. Facenna Goss

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Carmela" by L. Facenna Goss.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Carmela is based on a true story of an infant girl who was abandoned on the steps of the Monte Cassino Abbey during the 18th century. It was written by L. Facenna Goss. The story follows the life of the girl, Carmela, as she grows up amongst the monks and the nuns. The confines of the abbey and the convent protect her from the lies, gossip, and rumors surrounding her parents, but at age ten, Carmela filches her mother’s letter from a disagreeable old priest, Father Tomas, which sparks an insatiable curiosity about her past. The story continues with seventeen-year-old Carmela, who adamantly continues to search for answers. Meanwhile, Father Carlo, Father Tomas, and Sister Maria struggle to protect her by withholding the truth. Coincidentally, Carmela also pursues a romance with Angelo, a handsome farm-boy whose family mysteriously has a connection to her real family. Will Carmela finally uncover the truth about who she really is?

I read this book in one sitting because it was extremely hard to put down. The characters were likable and full of life. At the end of the book, I felt like I had personally met each one of them because they were so well written. Additionally, the book contained many plot twists that changed my mood in every chapter. Sometimes I felt as impatient as Carmela and hurriedly raced through the pages with my heart pounding, to find out what would happen next.

There were so many little incidents which perfectly captured the emotions and personalities of the characters. One example was where Carmela and Father Carlo cheekily switched the sugar and salt bottles which resulted in Father Tomas salting his coffee and then unceremoniously spitting it all over Pope Pius who had been visiting from Rome. Some incidents left me in laughs, like this one, and other times in tears, because they were so touching. I really admired the author’s ability to craft these precious moments into the story.

The mystery of Carmela’s life is mainly told through memories. It involved everyone’s perspectives on the situations at hand, as well as their actions, and feelings. This was crucial to the story because it boosted the development of the characters and the setting as the story progressed. I was also able to understand each character’s backstory and why they behaved in a certain way. For instance, Father Tomas and Sister Maria were unfriendly towards Carmela because they were afraid that she would find out their secrets, but truthfully they adored her.

The book seemed professionally edited and I only spotted a few, minor errors. I rate this heartwarming tale 4 out of 4 stars because I really enjoyed reading about the charming characters and figuring out the mysteries surrounding Carmela's biological family. There is some mild violence in the story and sex is implied, but not described, so I think that this book can be enjoyed by older teen girls and young adults. Historical romance fans may also enjoy it. Additionally, although the story contains Catholic elements, it does not focus heavily on religious beliefs, so I think that it will be enjoyed regardless of anyone's faith.

Carmela
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kashosi
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Kashosi »

This review is a want to read the book. Romance always intrigues me i love the love stories that have secrets, mystery and drama they are so attracting. It does not call so much for my attention to read but i could consider
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

This seems like a very intriguing read specially because it is based on true story.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, you’ve really made me want to read the book!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

KristyKhem wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 20:38 I read this book in one sitting because it was extremely hard to put down. The characters were likable and full of life. At the end of the book, I felt like I had personally met each one of them because they were so well written. Additionally, the book contained many plot twists that changed my mood in every chapter. Sometimes I felt as impatient as Carmela and hurriedly raced through the pages with my heart pounding, to find out what would happen next.
My favorite books are the ones that produce this reaction. Great description, great review. I'll be adding this one to my Want to Read list!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

SamSim wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 07:39
KristyKhem wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 20:38 I read this book in one sitting because it was extremely hard to put down. The characters were likable and full of life. At the end of the book, I felt like I had personally met each one of them because they were so well written. Additionally, the book contained many plot twists that changed my mood in every chapter. Sometimes I felt as impatient as Carmela and hurriedly raced through the pages with my heart pounding, to find out what would happen next.
My favorite books are the ones that produce this reaction. Great description, great review. I'll be adding this one to my Want to Read list!
Excellent! You'll really enjoy it!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Helen_Combe wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 07:35 Great review, you’ve really made me want to read the book!
If you decide to read it, I have no doubts that it will become a favorite. It certainly has for me :)

Return to “Historical Fiction”