Official Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mutisom
Favorite Book: Pig Dog Creek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Official Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War

Post by mutisom »

I like the story it is interesting but the length explanations can drive away the reader , Also like jacko character.
rettalyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rettalyn.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by rettalyn »

Thank you for your review. It was really insightful and after reading your review made me go back and put this on my want to read in my bookshelf. I especially like that you added in that this book takes you to the places described in the book. I also like when books do that. I also like the fact that you added in that even though the descriptions in the book were breathtaking and engaging that the dialogue is what took you out of the book because now I know that when I read it I have to be patient and just continue reading.
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

Crime thriller centered on human trafficking!!! What more a reader like me wants? Even if few dialogues are not up to the mark I think I will enjoy the plot. Thanks for the review!!!
Rania Elkhaligi
Currently Reading: Rory Aqua Adventure Man
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Rania Elkhaligi »

:techie-studyingbrown: During reading the first 2 papers I find them quite boring, but then it started to get more interesting and attracted my attention.
I liked the way the writer described the people found in the boat and the time of the day when he found them and the condition of the sky.
Also it was a good idea to make Jamie and Jako speak different language as it make them look more cultured.
saviouayaba
Favorite Author: Caarna
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 16
fav_author_id: 118250

Post by saviouayaba »

Nice review, that's tempting me to read the book, I think I'll have a try
Adekunleolamiposi
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Adekunleolamiposi »

The novel was so interesting in a way that I can't wait to finish it. I liked the way the writer described the people found in the boat and the time of the day when he found them and the condition of the sky. I also like jacko character.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

The book sounds interesting, but it's too bad about the dialogue. Dialogue can make or break the story, especially when there's a lot of it. I might still give this book a try, though. Either way, I will probably wait until I've the first book before I move onto this one. Thank you for the thorough review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

Book two of this trilogy seems interesting just like the first one. Mystery and crime. Human trafficking of kids? I'll really like to see if justice is made for all those dead kids floating in the water. Definitely is a book I will put in my want to read shelve.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I've read the sample of this book and the dialogue didn't seem unnatural to me, but I don't know about the rest of the book. What I liked were the sea descriptions and the suspenseful beginning of the plot. I'm glad you mentioned Jacko and his sister Sarah because I wondered about them and their aborigine background. Thank you for an interesting review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

I am surely going to read this book. Crime novels, with adventure, investigation, and thrill, this must be a perfect sequel to the first one.
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I noticed that the first book had a ton of 4/4 reviews (the official and voluntary reviews) and I'm wondering if the dialogue was better in that book. I don't remember it mentioned in the official review of the first book, but I might have overlooked it. Anyway, to get to my point, I really dislike stilted, unnatural dialogue so this may keep me from continuing on in the series after I read the first book. However, the story does sound quite interesting and exciting. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the insightful review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Bettsmj
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bettsmj »

I don’t normally read mystery thrillers as a genre but this one sounds like a good read, I have had books in the past that had the same dialogue problem and honestly find it difficult to read sometimes. I like the whole theme of the book as I often read books about hard topics such as abuse, trafficking and forced situations, because they give you a view of how people might have felt in those situations.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Miriam Molina wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 02:50 Hey, Kislany! It's been a while. It seems you went on an extended holiday for the golden celebration.

I am interested in the book, mostly because some parts happen in my country. (I just hope the dead kids aren't Filipinos!) Jacko seems to be the man to watch out for. Thanks for the exciting review!
Hi Miriam! It's been a while too😀 and I did think of you when I saw the Philippines in the review!

This book sounds really exciting and fast-paced. I'm looking forward to reading the humorous parts as well. I wonder if the stilted dialogue is one I can cope with though; I do tend to be quite picky, preferring an abundance of it rather than narrations. Thanks, Kislany, for the lovely review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

From your well drafted review, Book two of Warramunga sounds more adventurous and thrilling. And. how bad was the description of the two regions, Australia and Philipines, that made you conclude that you'd probably never visit? I want to read the book and find out. Thank you for sharing the review
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Thanks for an honest review! The Warramunga's Aftermath of War despite being an enjoyable and engaging read can occasionally bog down the reader with it's lengthy and unnatural dialogue.

Return to “Historical Fiction”