Phillipa Gregory’s The Virgin’s Lover

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rareviewer1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Phillipa Gregory’s The Virgin’s Lover

Post by Rareviewer1 »

I love historical novels, and the Tudors and Stuarts are a particularly rich period for the novelist, producing larger than life figures who changed the entire face of England.
Queen Elizabeth I, and her rumored affair with Robert Dudley, is definitely one of the topics that a writer of historical novels can delight in. Moreover, Phillipa Gregory writes well. She creates characters who are vivid and complex. Her pictures of the English Court are so vivid that they leap off the page, and come to life in colorful detail.

And yet, ultimately, this novel disappoints, because Gregory portrays Elizabeth, one of its main characters, as such an utter wuss! She can’t make up get mind Togo to war. She can’t make up her mind to leave Dudley, even though she can see that he’s trying to usurp her throne.

A reader is left to wonder - what can either Cecil, her Secretary of State, or Dudley see in her?

And so, the story seems to rest on a weak foundation, and is, ultimately, not as successful as many of Gregory’s other books.

On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 6. I wouldn’t say that reading it was a waste of my time. Gregory handles language too well for that. What I would say is that I’ve spent better time in England in Phillipa Gregory’s company before I read this book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”