Review by BookObsessedJunkie -- The Warramunga's War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
BookObsessedJunkie
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookobsessedjunkie.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Review by BookObsessedJunkie -- The Warramunga's War

Post by BookObsessedJunkie » 27 May 2018, 04:42

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Official Review: The Warramuga's War

During the war in Syria, Jamie meets a fellow Australian soldier, Jacko, who saves his life. This is the beginning and foundation of a beautiful, trustworthy, respectful and loyal friendship between the two. After Syria, they get sent to Egypt to continue with the fight. There, they encounter different people and different situations that shape up their lives and friendship. This is a book that is adventurous, happy, amazing and at its core, it is a book about true friendship.

What I really liked or loved about this book is that it is about friendship. Jacko and Jamie have a beautiful, long-lasting friendship that is very enviable. They are accepting of one another's attributes both physically and otherwise. Jacko' is half Aborigine and at the time that the novel is set in, not everybody was very accepting of that. But Jamie looks beyond all of that to see the person that Jacko is. There are instances and situations in this novel that show how other 'white' people treat the 'blacks' and to see the way Jamie admires and respects Jacko is very inspiring. Especially looking at this sometimes if not most turbulent times that we live in currently where racism and prejudices are very rife. This friendship is a shining star that signifies hope.

I also happened to love all the action that took place in the novel. I just loved getting to see the 'behind the scenes'of war. What people or soldiers did or do where and/or when there was no actual shooting or fighting taking place. People working tirelessly to get their countries to achieve their goals and objectives. It gave me an in depth look at war, not that I am into wars or anything. That being said, I also loved that this book covered other characters lives and places they were in. I loved that our two friends got to meet different people, went to different places, participated in different activities like the corroboree and we went along for the ride with them!

I also loved that there were many different characters I saw and read about.The author did not just skip through them. He gave them life, he gave them depth. You either rooted for them or wanted them gone if not dead. It was not only about the two friends and that is what I really liked about this book. One could or would get invested in the other characters, have that hunger to want to know more. What would happen to them? Would they survive their situation? Would they find what they were looking for? The author delivered in every single regard.

There is little that I did not like about this book. I wanted to see more of Jacko and Monique. I know it was implied but I needed to see the reunion (I hope it is not a spoiler. Its not though). I also wanted to see Matt until the end. Just to be sure what really happened to him. But I know , its just the curiosity. I also did not understand anything that Sarah, Jacko's younger sister said. Whenever she spoke I was left blank but it did not take away from the book. It was a great book apart from all these minor issues.

I rate this book4 out of 4 stars. It gets this rating for its perfection. It was a well written book with lovely characters who had depth. It had lovely scenes and sceneries. It was about inspiring friendship, acceptance and respect. All the qualities we need for a better functioning world. I would recommend this book to anyone who just loves a good read.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like BookObsessedJunkie's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”