Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Re: Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I like the message that this book seeks to be spreading that societal justice and change always starts with the regular, passionate people. The situation that Penelope faced was one that I guess any parent would not have easily resorted to place their child in. This is a good review. Thanks a lot for it. I will also be reading this book soon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Good review. Sounds like an interesting take on becoming a suffragette. It also has some romance in it.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I love your review its detailed hence catchy. This book has caught my interest for several reasons. A strong female, a romantic journey and the fact that it's a historical fiction is a plus.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Great historical fiction with a female protagonist. I love the fact that it has a romance aspect in it and that makes it more captivating. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Sumbule1
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumbule1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sumbule1 »

Potrays Romance that seems to affect the people within the authors visinity in a negative way. As they move to acquire new principles their is an overdue increment in level of fantasy within some people,I will wish to go through the novel.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Sounds like my next best historical romance novel to read. I like Penelope and Lucinda's decision to move on despite the financial meltdown of 1893. Good review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Not being very keen on romance stories, I was thinking of passing this one. But your review changed my mind. This sounds like a beautiful story with masterfully drawn characters. I will give this a try.
Lee_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-reads.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Lee_Reads »

I will be sure to add this one to my reading list, because I love historical fiction and will enjoy learning more about the details of the Women’s Suffrage Movement. Also, I have spent a night or two in Newport, Rhode Island and I found those those big, historic homes fascinating. So reading about that area and the financial panic of 1893 will be educational and entertaining. Thanks for the review.
Nikki Dewing
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikki-dewing.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Nikki Dewing »

Historical fiction, descriptive language, beautiful developed characters - yes! This sounds like a world to get lost into for a while. Thanks for the review.
tinker958
Currently Reading: Love is the Answer, God is the Cure
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by tinker958 »

This book is about learning to live in the nineteenth century and dealing with issues of love and life’s issues as a mistress in suffragette times.

There are a lot of characters like Penelope and her friend and the Daggers that spice up the story. I think this is a great book and I will read it.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

This sounds like something I would certainly love to pick up and enjoy! The balance between historical facts and a tantalizing romance is the perfect recipe to keep me glued to the pages till the end! It would be good to get acquainted with 19th Century America and the Women's Suffrage Movement.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

I have always wondered about the Women’s Suffrage Movement. To learn about it through a genre I enjoy makes it quite a treat. Rated as having 'a perfect balance of dramatic storytelling and conveyance of historical facts,' I can't wait to get a copy.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

A damsel in some sort of confusion, not exactly one in distress. This story is historical fiction, tied with the events of the women's right of suffrage movement. And the love angle seems just right to balance the drift of the story. Thank you for the interesting review.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I really liked the setting for this book. I can't say as I've come across too many books which take place during the Women's Suffrage Movement and actually focus on it. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Harzelryan
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harzelryan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Harzelryan »

The review is detailed thanks for it. I'm looking forward to reading this book though I've never read any historical fiction book this will be my first.

Return to “Historical Fiction”