Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cinder3111
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by Cinder3111 »

I think you did a really good review about this book I have only read 100 pages so far, but all of the stuff kept me really interested and now I want to read the book after this amazing review. Nice work!
Laura Gullett

Post by Laura Gullett »

I usually do not read fiction but this story kept me wanting to read more. There are so many details of how the dresses looked at a time in history that I felt like I was also at the ball. The narrator of the story is a single lady by the name of Penelope. She tries to ignore the obvious when others mischevious, but she is educated enough to have a basic understanding of what is going on. She doesn't like to break the protocol of how she is supposed to taught to behave around others in public, etc. so she felt guilty for having sudden feelings that seem to overcome her out of nowhere as the very married Mr. Daggars tries to take advantage of her right there at the ball. Luckily Penelope was able to escape without any physical harm, but emotionally she felt guilty and so wanted to never see Mr. Daggars again.

Men usually understand other men which is why the family friend George Setton who is courting Penelope's sister, Lydia, warned Penelope about Mr. Daggars. George was probably told some stories about how Mr. Daggars was a womanizer and so he was trying to protect both Penelope and Lydia.

The story is very well written with intricate details about the emotions inside Penelope as she handles different situations in her life. I feel like I'm transported to that moment where I'm viewing from Penelope's eyes as I'm reading the story. More power to the creative authors who are able to write such detail in stories like this one.
Cinder3111

Post by Cinder3111 »

I also feel that in this review you really put how you feel about the book, I found it interesting about how it had romance and historical knowledge for me I like romantic books but not to the point where it is in too much detail and review makes me want to read the rest of the book. Nice job!
Carly-maricque
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-maricque.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Carly-maricque »

Thanks for the review! However, this book is not one for me, as I do not like historical fiction books.
Theo Sanders
Currently Reading: The Prize
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Theo Sanders »

This is not really my genre but I'm sure it will appeal to romance lovers. The suffragette storyline is intriguing - this was the time when the women's movement really began, and strong independent women were definitely NOT the norm. It will make the lead character and her friend quite interesting I would imagine!
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Thanks for the detailed review. The suffragist movement era has always interest me. I enjoy a historical book especially with this type of drama in it. The events that you describe in your review is typical of the treatment women had to endure during that time and unfortunately still today. I think that this will be a good read, one that will hold my interest until the end.
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

Not my kind of book however, I appreciate your detailed review and understand why you love it. Thank you and congratulations!
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

A book of romance and historical fiction that touches women’s suffrage movement could be a great book to read. Sadly is not my kind of book. But gladly I will share it like always since there could be readers that appeals to this kind of romance and American history.
Last edited by asaltares on 19 Aug 2018, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

A book of romance and historical fiction that touches women’s suffrage movement could be a great book to read. Sadly is not my kind of book. But gladly I will share it like always since there could be readers that appeals to this kind of romance and American history.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I'm not a big fan of love stories but the story of Penelope seems compelling to me. The story serves more than just a love story. Since the genre is historical fiction, I might try this one.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

A historical fiction with relevant themes and an emotional premise, what's not to like? This book is also set in an era (Women’s Suffrage Movement) I'd love to learn more about, so I see that as a plus!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I may have already outgrown Romance novels like this several decades ago, but your write-up made this historical fiction seem like it's a worthwhile read for faithful followers of its genre. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes', has the beauty of expression! The reviewer very well reacts to the story of the book!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I think this book is for me as I am interested in historical fiction with a slice of romance. Thanks for your nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

Historical fiction is hit or miss with me, but this book sounds very interesting! I enjoy learning about the women's suffrage movement, and I think it would be interesting to learn about from the perspective of someone living it, even if they are fictional. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”