Official Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Official Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When War Ends" by Patricia Tomlin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin, the first book in the Roses Have Thorns series, is a historical fiction novel set around the English Civil War. Catherine is a young, Puritan girl of sixteen when she meets Martin, a well-off Protestant, who is four years older. They cultivate a firm friendship, and later a romance. Meanwhile, fearful tensions are rising in England due to the beginnings of a war between supporters of King Charles and those who stand with Parliament. Despite Catherine and Martin’s religious differences, they are determined to be united in marriage, a proposal Catherine’s father can’t bear to accept due to his deep devotion to the Puritan faith. Things get more difficult as a thief (Ted Morgan), who Martin caught in the very act, seems hellbent on killing him, Martin prepares to join the Civil War as a Parliamentarian, and his younger brother, Robert, resolves to fight for the King. What will become of Catherine and Martin’s affections? Will Catherine’s father budge or will their relationship suffer? Will Ted Morgan succeed in his pursuits? What will become of Robert and Martin’s relationship? Will the war put an end to what could have been a happily ever after? Strap on your seatbelts - it’s my hope to see you off on this amazing ride.

When War Ends was wonderfully woven together with the author's attention to detail, the wholesome characters, the thrill of the war, and the tensions between families and faiths. Before reading, I figured I would split my reading sessions into numerous sittings. Now, I humor the thought that I even had a choice! I could not put this book down. I absolutely enjoyed the characters that made up When War Ends. Though there was quite an array of them, I found them all rich and lively, and I can’t think of a single character I would describe as shallow. Whether I was introduced to a character at the beginning of the story, or near the end, I felt like I knew them on some basis. What I enjoyed even more were the relationships these characters shared. Relationships in this book were not presented as perfect - not at all. Relationships were shaped by trials and misfortunes but also love.

Another aspect of When War Ends that I liked were the tensions that arose throughout! There were a few strifes to keep me on the edge of my seat: Martin vs. Robert, Martin vs. Catherine’s dad, King vs. Parliament, Martin vs. Ted Morgan, Scarcity vs Wealth, etc. In addition, the unpredictability of the storyline was like a breath of fresh air. A couple of times I thought I had a fair guess on how things were going to turn out, and a couple of times I was absolutely wrong. Those surprises just added to the thrill of reading. Touching on the structure of the book, the story is written in the third person. While it consists mostly of Catherine’s and Martin’s perspective, readers get a few glimpses into other characters’ thoughts and feelings throughout the book.

There were many things I enjoyed about When War Ends, but I must make mention of what many would consider its biggest drawback. There were many grammatical errors in the novel. Most of the ones I caught had to do with punctuation rather than spelling, and the same type of errors repeated themselves. For example, a semi-colon frequently took the place of a comma: “For days she had found herself pausing in the middle of the work she was doing; just standing lost in dreams.” Also, I found at least two places where the author mixed up the names of the characters in an interaction. For example, instead of referring to Isaac, the author mentioned Thomas: “Thomas woke to the thunderous banging on the door. Throwing a cloak around his shoulders and with calming words to Elizabeth…” Personally, the grammatical errors weren’t obstacles for enjoying When War Ends. The rich plot and characters made up for whatever damage the mechanical errors could’ve inflicted.

Another thing that’s important to know is that When War Ends does touch on a difficult topic for some, and that is sexual assault. A character was raped in the novel, but fortunately, the encounter was not described graphically. For readers that tend to steer away from sexually explicit scenes, there is none to fear here. I recommend this book for those who don’t mind getting a history lesson or two and can handle a few graphic war scenes, and the rape of a character. I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I would have loved to rate this novel a four because it truly was a phenomenal read. However, grammar weighs heavily on the quality of a book, and it was not the greatest it could be.

I enjoyed learning about the differences between Puritans and Protestants despite the common faith they shared, feeling the rush of the war scenes, experiencing emotions as I read along, and anticipating what would come next. When War Ends was an unforgettable whirlwind of events.

When War Ends
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ladycraic's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book O-Rama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-o-rama.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Book O-Rama »

Your non-spoiler review has definitely piqued my interest. This is a genre I enjoy reading and your description indicates that, although it has errors, the story is well worth reading.
ladycraic

Post by ladycraic »

Book O-Rama wrote: 19 May 2018, 14:29 Your non-spoiler review has definitely piqued my interest. This is a genre I enjoy reading and your description indicates that, although it has errors, the story is well worth reading.
I hope you go for it! And I genuinely tried to keep the review spoiler-free so thanks for acknowledging my efforts! 😊
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the lovely review. It is always annoying when there are grammatical errors to detract you from reading in what otherwise seems like an interesting novel.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

As a big fan of historical fiction and an enthusiast when it comes to English history, I have to say that this book seems like an excellent read! It's just a pity about the grammar and punctuation errors--if this book was given another round of editing, I'm sure it would be amazing :)

Thank you for your review--it was very thorough, and I definitely found it helpful! :D
ladycraic

Post by ladycraic »

gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 00:32 Thank you for the lovely review. It is always annoying when there are grammatical errors to detract you from reading in what otherwise seems like an interesting novel.
It is unfortunate as the book loses out on its full potential, especially for someone who has a keen eye for grammar mistakes. Thanks for checking out my review! :)
ladycraic

Post by ladycraic »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 20 May 2018, 05:35 As a big fan of historical fiction and an enthusiast when it comes to English history, I have to say that this book seems like an excellent read! It's just a pity about the grammar and punctuation errors--if this book was given another round of editing, I'm sure it would be amazing :)

Thank you for your review--it was very thorough, and I definitely found it helpful! :D
I'm a huuuge fan of historical fiction as well so When War Ends did not disappoint. Hopefully others aren't scared away... :lol2:
I agree! Another round of editing would definitely be a step up for this novel! Thanks for your lovely comment - it means a lot :) I'm so glad you found my review thorough and helpful.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

ladycraic wrote: 20 May 2018, 07:34
gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 00:32 Thank you for the lovely review. It is always annoying when there are grammatical errors to detract you from reading in what otherwise seems like an interesting novel.
It is unfortunate as the book loses out on its full potential, especially for someone who has a keen eye for grammar mistakes. Thanks for checking out my review! :)
I totally agree! It is the same case with the book I only just reviewed (A Patchwork of Pink), it was a great read but the grammatical mistakes were simply too many.
Chinedu 36
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chinedu 36 »

same thing i see also concining about the grammartic mistakes made,in this book
ladycraic

Post by ladycraic »

Chinedu 36 wrote: 20 May 2018, 16:05 same thing i see also concining about the grammartic mistakes made,in this book
I'm curious, did you enjoy the book (if you finished it)?
Arobenz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arobenz »

Yeah
The grammar
I also noticed that
winner E
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by winner E »

war is not good at all, I just pray I don't experience war in my life
ladycraic

Post by ladycraic »

winner E wrote: 28 May 2018, 09:20 war is not good at all, I just pray I don't experience war in my life
I agree with your thoughts on war :) I pray the same prayer for you. Thanks for checking out my review!
ladycraic

Post by ladycraic »

Arobenz wrote: 28 May 2018, 02:34 Yeah
The grammar
I also noticed that
Thanks for checking out my review!
Sijaona1
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sijaona1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sijaona1 »

How good friendship can turn into Romances, the good and bad scenarios it leads to.

Good book to read, gramatical errors discourages further reading and causing confusion.

Return to “Historical Fiction”