Official Review: Summer's Idyll by Don Gutteridge

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Summer's Idyll by Don Gutteridge

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Summer's Idyll" by Don Gutteridge.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some of our fondest childhood memories were made during the summer break with the neighborhood kids. Those carefree days were spent riding bikes, playing ball, and swimming. Author Don Gutteridge tells the story of Billy and his neighborhood buddies in Summer's Idyll.

Billy, also known as Junior, and affectionately, Nubbins by his mother and grandmother, anxiously awaits the end of the school year. He and his good friends, including Wiz, Joey, and Hutch, plan and perform a circus for the neighborhood every summer. When the boys aren’t rehearsing, building props, or putting costumes together, they play ball, Red Rover, and many other childhood favorites.
Life isn’t completely carefree for these kids. It is the summer of 1944 and the horrors of World War II are never far from anyone’s thoughts. Also, someone is causing major mischief in the neighborhood. Clothes on a line and cabbage from a garden go missing, and everyone is confused. However, when the mischief becomes missing children and fires, the neighbors are forced to take the actions of the “Stranger” more seriously.

If you’re looking for an action-packed adventure or a great romance, this is not the book for you. This is a slow, relaxing read. Unfortunately, I found it to be boring at times, but the story continued at an even flow. I lost interest when the details of the children’s games were thoroughly explained. Still, the story of kids playing in the summertime evoked warm memories and brought a smile to my face as I read. This would be an enjoyable book for families to read together. With children as main characters and an element of mystery, this book will delight readers of all ages.

This book is skillfully written, organized, and edited. Each character is beautifully developed and experiences relatable growth. The author was able to accurately convey events through the eyes of a child. Furthermore, the author’s expert use of descriptive language creates a pleasurable reading experience. My favorite stories are those of true or fictional narratives of lives lived during World War I and II.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is a well-written and relaxing read. The story is rich with relatable characters and events. With grandma baking in the kitchen, and the gossips sharing the latest news, reading Summer's Idyll will remind you of a simpler time in your life, especially if you grew up in a small town as I did.

Summer's Idyll
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Lovely review - you really make this sound entirely charming. I'm not sure that it's for me, though. I don't insist on action-packed material, but I like something to get my teeth into.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I enjoy books with a relaxed pace like this one. I also appreciate the historical setting and the small-town feel you've described. Thanks for the review, I'll be checking this book out.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This seems like a good read for anyone who wants to sit down with a hot drink and a book on a lazy night! Also, am I the only one who thinks this book has To Kill A Mockingbird vibes? XD

Thank you for your review--it's short and sweet, a succinct and clear critique of the book! :)
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your interesting review. Your patience is admirable! Think I'll pass on this one.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I don't know if you're familiar with Dennis the Menace, but for me, this storyline seems to follow many of the same plot points: kids being mischievous, strange occurrences in town, a stranger who's the cause of much of the uproar.

The book certainly sounds cute but I question the originality.

Thanks for the lovely review lady!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can feel the pace of this story already. It sounds relaxing and enjoyable. I like that this is set during WWII. I'll have to put this on my list. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

It sounds like a nice book for summer reading outdoors. I hope there is a scene with fireflies.
Arobenz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arobenz »

Since it's a relaxing book
Yeah! That's for me
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It's nice when you can find a book that families can read together.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Historical Fiction”