Review by Xgolfbum -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Xgolfbum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xgolfbum.html
Latest Review: The Devil Take Tomorrow by Gretchen Jeannette

Review by Xgolfbum -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Xgolfbum » 16 May 2018, 14:52

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After reading The Warramunga’s War by Greg Kater. I would rate this book a 4 out of 4. The title word, Warramunga, is Jacko’s tribe in Australia. The book describes Jacko’s experiences during the war with Rommel in the middle East. It specifically follows two characters, Jamie and Jacko, through the war and a post war time. Jamie and Jacko are from Australia and they return to Australia post war.

The relationship between Jamie and Jacko is respectful, warm and trustworthy. These men have very strong analytical skills and knowledge of weapons. Jamie and Jacko limit risk and are safe in their approach to the job. They are effective spies for their country. I enjoyed reading the book with the many intense encounters they have. I do not typically read historical novels but this one held my interest. It encouraged me to seek out other historical novels.

The book incorporates some relationships between men and women without explicit sexual descriptions. Jacko meets a woman while sightseeing in Egypt and develops a relationship with her. Another character is found to actually be a serial rapist and murderer. These two examples are the only reference of a sexual nature. It was surprising that there was never a mate for Jamie.

The book is well written. It is an easy read. It has Australian language that is spoken in the native tongue by only one character, Sarah. Sarah is Jacko’s sister and meets them in the post war part of the story. The other Australian characters are more educated and speak with good English. Jamie is very perceptive to the skills of the people he meets. He makes these people feel useful to accomplish the goals that he and Jacko are completing.

The war events in the book are written in chronological order. The descriptions of these war adventures are very realistic even though they are fictional. The author gives each character a name and a description of their role in the story. The author tells a short history about the character before the war as well. The story flows in the everyday routine as if there is not a war nearby.

The book is written with in-depth development of the situations, the environment and the perspective actions that will be taken. Even though there are very uncomfortable weather and insects described in the post war part of the story, the characters are not made to suffer. After the capture of the enemy is complete, there is celebratory praise and actions taken.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Xgolfbum's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”