Official Review: Rene' Bernard by John T. Mac Dougall

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Rene' Bernard by John T. Mac Dougall

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rene' Bernard" by John T. Mac Dougall.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

René Bernard, by John MacDougall, is a work of historical fiction. The author has woven an intricate tale about the life of a talented artist. In addition to the fictional story, the book features several of the author’s paintings.

This story takes place in 1864, in the small town of Etang de Thau, France. René was the third child of an oyster-cultivating family. Sons guaranteed that the family business would continue to prosper into the future. Sadly, after a debilitating sickness, the young René developed heart problems. As a result, he could not fulfill his father’s wishes of perpetuating the family tradition of oyster cultivation. His older sister, Marie, assumed responsibility for René and encouraged him to draw and paint. Under her tutelage, René began to paint. He attended the Academy of Roland Guertau where he developed his particular painting style. Upon completion of his studies, he moved to Paris where he continued his life’s work.

The book is told from the third person omniscient point of view. Readers learn about the thoughts and emotions of all the characters, including a lion. This helps to create a mood of lighthearted fantasy.

The writing style is interesting but unfocused. The author devotes more time to peripheral details than to developing the story line around René. We hear about Marie’s courtship and marriage to Philippe. Readers can peruse a complete register of the wedding gifts. Later, we savor the buffet served at the reception. Following this, we encounter a report of the architectural features of the newlywed’s new home. All these lengthy descriptions affect the pacing of the story.

This book needs more editing. Grammar and spelling errors appear frequently and slow down the reading of the text. The name of one of the characters changes, and ‘René’ is occasionally misspelled. The secondary characters are more developed than the story about René. I was hoping for more information about René’s development as an artist.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The slow pacing and frequent errors impeded the reading flow. The author has a unique talent for writing in-depth descriptions. Had there been more descriptions about René, I would gladly raise the rating.

Readers who want to learn about the life and customs of France in the 19th century would enjoy this book. They would find the descriptions of oyster cultivation, family life, food, clothing, and weddings and other celebrations intriguing and informative.

Rene' Bernard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

What caught me in your review was how the author even have the lion's thoughts. How quirky! But, overly describing mundane items is annoying to me and it does slow down the pace. I would pass on it because if that. Thanks for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I appreciate that the author wanted to make the story authentic by including specific details, but I think this goes a bit far. Including exactly what was on the wedding registry? I just think that would interrupt the story too much. Thanks for taking us through this one, but I think I'm going to pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

melissy370 wrote: 10 May 2018, 06:45 What caught me in your review was how the author even have the lion's thoughts. How quirky! But, overly describing mundane items is annoying to me and it does slow down the pace. I would pass on it because if that. Thanks for your review.
I was conflicted about this book. The descriptions are very well done. Unfortunately, many of them meander into territory that does not advance the story. And yes - the lion's thoughts are revealed!!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 May 2018, 07:24 I appreciate that the author wanted to make the story authentic by including specific details, but I think this goes a bit far. Including exactly what was on the wedding registry? I just think that would interrupt the story too much. Thanks for taking us through this one, but I think I'm going to pass.
The wedding gifts got to me, too. The buffet was more fun!!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

The descriptions sound quite excessive. I really don't think any reader needs to know what a character has on her wedding registry. This sounded like it had great potential. I was quite interested by the description and the inclusion of the lion as a unique perspective. Too bad though. I don't want to have to wade through all of that mundane information. Nice review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kfwilson6 wrote: 10 May 2018, 08:28 The descriptions sound quite excessive. I really don't think any reader needs to know what a character has on her wedding registry. This sounded like it had great potential. I was quite interested by the description and the inclusion of the lion as a unique perspective. Too bad though. I don't want to have to wade through all of that mundane information. Nice review.
The lion was a high point of the book!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Wow that's a bit much. Plus I know they say to never judge a book by it's cover but this one doesn't appeal to me all around. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

AmySmiles wrote: 10 May 2018, 09:09 Wow that's a bit much. Plus I know they say to never judge a book by it's cover but this one doesn't appeal to me all around. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for reading.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

There is nothing that frustrates me more in a book than the characters names being misspelled. Especially when it's the main character. Grammatical errors I can get past, but that is just too sloppy.
Thanks for the great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Bianka Walter wrote: 10 May 2018, 10:29 There is nothing that frustrates me more in a book than the characters names being misspelled. Especially when it's the main character. Grammatical errors I can get past, but that is just too sloppy.
Thanks for the great review!
Agreed!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Slow stories are hard for me to enjoy as well, plus that many errors are frustrating! The concept is intriguing but unfortunately, not executed properly. Thanks for a great review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

SABRADLEY wrote: 10 May 2018, 13:38 Slow stories are hard for me to enjoy as well, plus that many errors are frustrating! The concept is intriguing but unfortunately, not executed properly. Thanks for a great review!
Yes. The errors really take away from the story. When they start to pile up, interest starts to go down.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This book sounds like it has so much potential, so it's too bad it lacks a powerful storyline and good grammar and punctuation. I like the setting and the time period you described here as well. I think I will pass on it for now as it seems that the author needs to do some work in making this a little more readable.
Everything happens for a reason...
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

cpru68 wrote: 10 May 2018, 15:00 This book sounds like it has so much potential, so it's too bad it lacks a powerful storyline and good grammar and punctuation. I like the setting and the time period you described here as well. I think I will pass on it for now as it seems that the author needs to do some work in making this a little more readable.
The potential is there and I was hopeful when I began the book. Hopefully, the author can fix it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”