Official Review: Rene' Bernard by John T. Mac Dougall

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Rene' Bernard by John T. Mac Dougall

Post by Sharon serena »

It must have been a struggle reading this one. I cant imagine having to go through a dozed of grammatical and spelling errors in one book. Still I salute you for your patience and determination to finish the book. Good job!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sharon serena wrote: 10 May 2018, 16:14 It must have been a struggle reading this one. I cant imagine having to go through a dozed of grammatical and spelling errors in one book. Still I salute you for your patience and determination to finish the book. Good job!
Thanks for the encouragement!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Overly descriptive read sounds like the author been carried away with his work but we cannot hold that against him. A descriptive detail of France in the 19th century would be like travelling back to time. Too bad about the mishaps though. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 11 May 2018, 08:05 Overly descriptive read sounds like the author been carried away with his work but we cannot hold that against him. A descriptive detail of France in the 19th century would be like travelling back to time. Too bad about the mishaps though. Thank you!
That is what conflicted me about this book! Thanks for reading.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

kdstrack wrote: 08 May 2018, 16:07 Readers who want to learn about the life and customs of France in the 19th century would enjoy this book. They would find the descriptions of oyster cultivation, family life, food, clothing, and weddings and other celebrations intriguing and informative.
Yes, that all sounds lovely - I'm glad you picked out that aspect - but what a pity about the pacing and the errors.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I like that the book includes descriptions of 19th-century France. Too bad for the slow development, bad editing, and lack of descriptions about René. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Yolimari wrote: 14 May 2018, 03:49 I like that the book includes descriptions of 19th-century France. Too bad for the slow development, bad editing, and lack of descriptions about René. Thanks for the review!
I really enjoyed those parts of the book.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

It's always interesting to me to question why the author includes certain lengthy details. So much attributed to the wedding, for example, might suggest the author preferred writing about that scene than those in the rest of the book. Maybe he should have written about the sister's love story and wedding saga with the inclusion of how her brother's life affected her choices?

Just musing. Thanks for your review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

NL Hartje wrote: 20 May 2018, 15:02 It's always interesting to me to question why the author includes certain lengthy details. So much attributed to the wedding, for example, might suggest the author preferred writing about that scene than those in the rest of the book. Maybe he should have written about the sister's love story and wedding saga with the inclusion of how her brother's life affected her choices?

Just musing. Thanks for your review!
I think he may have wanted to emphasize the influence his sister had on his life. But it far outweighed the story about the main character. At times I was asking myself, Where is René in all this?

Return to “Historical Fiction”