Review by Sketches_by_Shell -- The Warramunga's War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Sketches_by_Shell
2018 Reading Goal: 35
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Book: Sketches by Boz
Currently Reading: The Druids
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketches-by-shell.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Review by Sketches_by_Shell -- The Warramunga's War

Post by Sketches_by_Shell » 02 May 2018, 08:22

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Warramunga's War by Greg Kater is a great read. This book is different from other novels due to its characters and the locations. The one man is a native Australian, a member of the Warramunga Tribe. He is highly skilled in tracking and survival; this is a great benefit to the others. The storyline is full of interesting things; the settings are unbelievable. Egypt and Australia are fabulous places; Kater creates a colorful story by adding intrigue through survival and the search. Between the locations and the subject matter, of the second world war, there are many exciting topics.

The adventures of the characters are incredible. In Cairo, Egypt the reader is introduced to the mayhem of life, and the tactics used to get ahead. The soldiers enlist the aid of the locals to help gain intelligence during the war. One character is able to venture out to see the pyramids. Kater uses a guide to show us the details of the building of the pyramids. These two people fall in love and share holidays together with all their friends. The group now has a place to go for a festive break in their espionage. The story continues in the Northern Territory of Australia. Two characters are chasing two bad guys wanted for war crimes. These two bad guys have joined forces with another and are leading our characters across Australia. They meet different characters along the way. They face some minor obstacles but recover from those in no time. Kater likes for us to be intrigued, but not disappointed, in the story. It's no fun when bad things continue to happen to characters all the way through. The reader begins to think, huh, when will it ever end? There are times when Kater lets the reader think that something may happen that is bad for the characters, but then it all goes well for them.

This book would appeal to anyone who likes adventure. There are some subject matters not appropriate for all ages, but they do not distract from the story. The descriptions of both countries are written like an oil painting. I could feel the life in the streets of Cairo and see the green in the back roads of Australia. The development of setting and characters are key to a delightful story. Those are good qualities for an author.

There are just a few errors in the book; not enough to take away from the flow of the reading. One character seems to spell her name two different ways: sometimes with a "y" and sometimes an "i" is used! In other places, there are missing words or punctuation.

The action kept me ready to turn the page; I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars because of that feature. I felt like I was watching a movie as the descriptions were so real. I could see the different personalities of the characters coming to life.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Sketches_by_Shell's review? Post a comment saying so!
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Cicero

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”