Official Review: The Mathematician's Journey

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: The Mathematician's Journey

Post by kfwilson6 »

Libs_Books wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 14:06 He appears to have confused the courtship rituals, in particular, with the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, and as for the dialogue … well, no, let's just not go there. Furthermore, the research that has been done is not worn lightly. Our narrator feels the need to tell us what fashionable gentlemen typically wore during his boyhood; he also tells us about the gunpowder plot, gives us a quick history of Oxford University and recounts a visit to Stonehenge and Avebury. All that (well, OK, most of it) was accurate enough, but it was plodding and dull – and, more importantly, not in any way relevant.
First, I completely agree with the comment about how this review has so much personality. I love it! I laughed out loud when you said "let's just not go there" and really wanted you to "go there." Stonehenge, gunpowder plot, Oxford??? What??? Very odd. I like adventurous historical fiction, but I am just not sure about the oddities of this book. Great review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

kfwilson6 wrote: 07 May 2018, 09:36 Stonehenge, gunpowder plot, Oxford??? What??? Very odd. I like adventurous historical fiction, but I am just not sure about the oddities of this book. Great review.
Many thanks for the positive feedback. It is a shame about those early chapters because it's almost as if the rest of the book (apart from the brief sojourn back in England) was written by a different person.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Spoilers at the start is almost never a good idea. The fun of a story is the control of information so that you keep your readers interested and moving through the story. That's a weird choice! Thanks for the review!
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 08 May 2018, 10:59 Spoilers at the start is almost never a good idea. The fun of a story is the control of information so that you keep your readers interested and moving through the story. That's a weird choice! Thanks for the review!
I agree - there has to be a reason, and I couldn't spot it here. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I agree with Jaime. The title was the reason I clicked on this review. When I saw the word "Mathematician," I thought, "Oooh, what's that about?" Although, I love history, especially books exploring the possible fates of missing people (if you do too, I highly recommend Roanoke by Angela Hunt), so the plot description didn't disappoint me. I appreciate the warning about the first few chapters dragging a bit. I wish more books I have read came with similar warnings, as I've given up on a few when I practically fell asleep in chapter one. Maybe I should revisit those - they might surprise me like this one would. Thanks for the honest review!
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

SamSim wrote: 10 May 2018, 12:16 I agree with Jaime. The title was the reason I clicked on this review. ... I appreciate the warning about the first few chapters dragging a bit. I wish more books I have read came with similar warnings, as I've given up on a few when I practically fell asleep in chapter one.
Yes, if I hadn't agreed to review this one, I might have given up, too. Thanks for reading and the positive feedback.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your review; it does seem a bit dry for me. However, it seems like a massive pity that Hudson did not do his research thoroughly before writing this book. Otherwise, it would have been a lot more fascinating!
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

gen_g wrote: 12 May 2018, 01:06 Thank you for your review; it does seem a bit dry for me. However, it seems like a massive pity that Hudson did not do his research thoroughly before writing this book. Otherwise, it would have been a lot more fascinating!
Thanks for commenting. The author is, I suspect an absolute expert on sailing ships, and probably also on tribal life, just not so sure of himself in England.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This story certainly sounds intriguing--I'm a big fan of historical fiction, especially stories that extensively draw from the historic background they feature. The writing looks good as well, and I'm honestly relieved that there is little to no mention of Mathematics in it :P

Thank you for your nuanced review, it was really illuminating!
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 13 May 2018, 04:30 This story certainly sounds intriguing--I'm a big fan of historical fiction, especially stories that extensively draw from the historic background they feature. The writing looks good as well, and I'm honestly relieved that there is little to no mention of Mathematics in it :P
Yes, once the author's in his comfort zone, he can certainly write. Thanks for reading and your kind comments.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I love historical fiction, so I am definitely going to be picking this one up soon. Thank you for the great review!
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

BriennaiJ wrote: 14 May 2018, 16:32 I love historical fiction, so I am definitely going to be picking this one up soon.
Thank you for your kind comments - I hope you enjoy it.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Sounds like an interesting idea. The problem with historical fiction is that there's something to compare it to. If the reader knows what should be during that time period, then you're not going to fool them.

Your review seems very personable. I feel like you were talking directly to me and telling me about this book. Thanks!
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

bb587 wrote: 16 May 2018, 15:29 Your review seems very personable. I feel like you were talking directly to me and telling me about this book. Thanks!
I aim to please. Thanks for the feedback :)
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

very well written review and gave gave much more insight into this travel mystery book about Hudson but getting little less rating for this good books was regarding spoilers with misjudgement
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Historical Fiction”