Official Review: The Mathematician's Journey

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lydiasmoot21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydiasmoot21.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Official Review: The Mathematician's Journey

Post by lydiasmoot21 »

This book seems like it's for math and history fanatics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I really loved the title of the book. From your review, it seems like the book did not disappoint. Will definitely read this. Thank you for writing this.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Jonida wrote: 02 May 2018, 16:59The historical facts make me want to read it. ...Good job!
Thanks very much, Jonida - I hope you enjoy it.
420waystoreachthesun wrote: 02 May 2018, 23:34I really loved the title of the book. From your review, it seems like the book did not disappoint. Will definitely read this. Thank you for writing this.
Thanks for your kind comments.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

Thanks for the review. The title is indeed deceptive. It's the type of title that would definitely make me ignore this book if I see it on list. But due to your review at least I now have a better idea of what the book is about. Though as much as I am curious about the historical fiction aspect of this book, I'm not one for books on voyages. I'm not sure I'll be reading this book, but thanks again for your very informative review.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

lydiasmoot21 wrote: 02 May 2018, 20:51 This book seems like it's for math and history fanatics.
I think people who love math(s) might be a bit disappointed, but it's certainly one for fans of historical fiction – thanks for reading and commenting.
jvez wrote: 03 May 2018, 04:00 The title is indeed deceptive. It's the type of title that would definitely make me ignore this book if I see it on list. ... I'm not one for books on voyages. I'm not sure I'll be reading this book, but thanks again for your very informative review.
Thanks for reading and commenting. It's a pity about the title, although the cover is terrific. Although quite a bit of the book is on board ship, there is quite a lot on land, too, recounting his life with the Omushkegowak.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Lovely review, very detailed. The book sounds quite a mishmash of research and guesswork. I’m not terribly au fait with historical courtship rituals. I though they were mainly based on comparing each other’s income. 😄
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Helen_Combe wrote: 03 May 2018, 15:51 Lovely review, very detailed. The book sounds quite a mishmash of research and guesswork. I’m not terribly au fait with historical courtship rituals. I though they were mainly based on comparing each other’s income. 😄
:lol2: Many a true word spoken in jest. That was a big element for those of 'gentle' birth, except that it was usually the parents who compared each other's income, social status, land holding and influential connections.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Lavidainlife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavidainlife.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Lavidainlife »

Jaime Lync wrote: 01 May 2018, 23:02 The title seems very deceptive now that I have read your review.
I was thinking the same thing about the title. The reviewer's summation of the plot is not at all what I was expecting. It sounds like it could be an interesting read. I don't know if I'm willing to slog through the first part, though. I like books that hit the ground running. Thanks for the thorough review!
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Dragonfly6 »

I appreciate this review, not only for the enjoyment of it, but for the information. I purposely chose to read a review on this book because I don't care for math as a general subject, and finding a book about the subject seems even less interesting.

After reading your review, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is not, in fact, about mathematics. While I do generally enjoy historical fiction, I don't think this book would be a sound choice for me. I appreciate the superb review so I could make that decision! Thank you!
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Dragonfly6 wrote: 04 May 2018, 17:19 I appreciate this review, not only for the enjoyment of it, but for the information. I purposely chose to read a review on this book because I don't care for math as a general subject ...After reading your review, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is not, in fact, about mathematics.
I'm glad your curiosity got the better of your dislike of mathematics. Thanks for reading and your kind comments.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I can't fathom the author's reason for using that title. For one, a lot of people do not like Math (Jaime, you and your ilk are a rare breed!), so I don't think it will help in selling the book. Second, there is little Math in the story, so the lovers of Math (Jaime, for instance) end up unhappy. Maybe Mr. Dalton can give us his calculated answer. (Libs_Books, did you use "calculated" in line with the title, or was it a happy coincidence? You made me chuckle. It's the only Math the author did.)

I am not a history fan so I wouldn't know whether the courtship rituals are described accurately. I am intrigued that you teach the literature of love through the ages. Maybe you can write a book about it; you write with a passion (pun intended!).
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Miriam Molina wrote: 06 May 2018, 13:20 I can't fathom the author's reason for using that title. ... (Libs_Books, did you use "calculated" in line with the title, or was it a happy coincidence? You made me chuckle.)
Ha, ha, that joke book you've just finished has clearly been a bad influence on you. No, that one wasn't deliberate.
I am intrigued that you teach the literature of love through the ages. Maybe you can write a book about it; you write with a passion (pun intended!).
:lol2: I definitely don't know enough to write a book! But, as the saying goes, you don't need to be a chicken to tell a good egg from a bad one.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Libs_Books wrote: 06 May 2018, 14:38 Ha, ha, that joke book you've just finished has clearly been a bad influence on you. No, that one wasn't deliberate.

I expected you to say that! :lol:

But, as the saying goes, you don't need to be a chicken to tell a good egg from a bad one.
Don't chicken out!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

It's unfortunate the opening to this book is a little tedious and bogged down in descriptions from perhaps unnecessary research. Good to hear it improves later on and is overall an entertaining read.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

joshfee77 wrote: 06 May 2018, 20:20 It's unfortunate the opening to this book is a little tedious and bogged down in descriptions from perhaps unnecessary research. Good to hear it improves later on and is overall an entertaining read.
Thanks for your comments. It's true that the surplus research drags it down a bit, but mercifully the plot moves on quite quickly despite all that.

Return to “Historical Fiction”