Official Review: Your Land Is Our Land by H Edward Schmidt

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Official Review: Your Land Is Our Land by H Edward Schmidt

Post by DancingLady »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Your Land Is Our Land" by H Edward Schmidt.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Your Land is Our Land is an unconventional historical fiction work by H. Edward Schmidt. The prologue is set in 2014 on an Israeli beach. Readers who are already well informed about the 20th-century history of Palestine and the founding of Israel will likely pick up the clue to this book's unconventional aspects. Others, like myself, may miss it and only realize far into the story that the author has departed from the true historical narrative and is presenting an alternative history.

The story begins in 1935. In Palestine, the British are working with agencies like the Jewish National Fund to assist Jews from around the world in the process of immigrating and settling in their ancient homeland. In the process, Palestinian Arabs, whose families have lived there for centuries, are being displaced. Understandably, many Arabs choose to resist the British and Jewish forces. As groups of Arabs fight against those who would drive them from their homes, they seek independence from the Brittish empire. Their goal is for the established people of Palestine to rule themselves and control the flow of immigration. As violence continues, a group of Christian, Muslim, and Jewish religious leaders rises up in a united cry for peace in the Holy Land. Their noble dream of peace faces many obstacles, including those outside the borders of Palestine. As Europe moves steadily toward war, hundreds of thousands of Jews in Germany are at risk, putting greater pressure on the British to settle more and more Jews in Palestine.

One of the things I appreciated most about this book was how the author clearly presented the perspective of each party involved in this complex situation. The book is divided into fairly short sections within the larger chapters that move from one setting and perspective to another, giving the reader the opportunity to see the flow of events through the eyes of many different characters. The scenes in which Arab families are forcefully evicted from their land were painful and sad to read. I was never informed of these events in any history class, so I am grateful to gain this understanding now, as it helps me understand the current situation in Israel much better.

While I appreciated the historical perspective I gained, this book left me with a great deal of confusion regarding the true historical events in the years 1935-1939. At some point in the story, the author begins moving into his alternative history. Because of my lack of knowledge on this subject, I did not realize what was happening until much later in the story when I finally identified an event as fictional and contradictory to what really happened. As one who wants to know the truth, I now feel compelled to research the true history of events to make sure I do not remain confused and either embarrass myself in conversation or spread inaccuracies to another uninformed person. In addition to my primary concern regarding this book, I was very disappointed to find that the editing was terrible. There are dozens of typos and grammatical errors such as missing prepositions or articles, incorrect prepositions, and sentences that need to be reworked. These errors were so numerous that I felt like my reading pace was slowed by them at times.

I have really struggled with how to rate this book and decided to give in 2 out of 4 stars. I am giving 2 stars because I feel that I gained something of value in understanding the perspective of the Palestinian Arabs in the latter years of British rule. However, given the lack of proper editing and the way I felt about the ending, I can not give it anything more. I recommend this book, with hesitation, only to those who either have a good understanding of the history of Israel or are willing to take the time to educate themselves about what really happened.

Your Land Is Our Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DancingLady's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

DancingLady wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 15:12 While I appreciated the historical perspective I gained, this book left me with a great deal of confusion regarding the true historical events in the years 1935-1939. At some point in the story, the author begins moving into his alternative history. Because of my lack of knowledge on this subject, I did not realize what was happening until much later in the story when I finally identified an event as fictional and contradictory to what really happened. As one who wants to know the truth, I now feel compelled to research the true history of events to make sure I do not remain confused and either embarrass myself in conversation or spread inaccuracies to another uninformed person. In addition to my primary concern regarding this book, I was very disappointed to find that the editing was terrible. There are dozens of typos and grammatical errors such as missing prepositions or articles, incorrect prepositions, and sentences that need to be reworked. These errors were so numerous that I felt like my reading pace was slowed by them at times.
I think this is a really important point, and I'm so glad you raised it. It's difficult enough reading real history and recognising that someone may be biased, but with alternative history the whole thing gets so much more confused. I have to say that, although some people were concerned about the position of Jews in Germany, I'm not sure that anyone imagined how bad things might become. The horrific truth only emerged after the war. So, is the writer imagining how different things would have been, if more action had been taken in the 1930s? Thanks, anyway, for a great review: honest and incisive.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The land of Jews is truly a controversial read. This topic kept me on the run after I watched certain footages of world war two. The heinous crimes committed and how these people have to flew from their land. Jews settle in Israel where Jerusalem is located. This is such a complex topic. Thank you summing that up!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The review is very good and I like it. The fact that there is such a historical event that is presented in a way that is not factual should be a matter of concern. It's good that you visited the histroy to check whether it is true. I like the book and I hope the mentioned errors will be corrected soonest.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm not much for reading historical fiction, but the more reviews I read about these types of books, the more interested I have become. I don't think this is the best one for me to start with though. I appreciate your honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

So, this sounds like it would probably on be truly interesting to those who definitely know their history of this time and place. It's too bad about the ending and the editing, though. I am not familiar with this at all, so I know I wouldn't enjoy it. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am sorry about the editing problems. I am sure they were quite distracting. It is a pity, considering the topic. I'd be interested in reading this book, though. I know enough about the problem from history. Besides, this is still such an important topic nowadays. I honestly believe we should be more informed about what is going on in the world. In this way, we will learn to be more tolerant and to pay attention to the lessons history is trying to teach us. Thank you for your detailed review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 May 2018, 07:30 So, this sounds like it would probably on be truly interesting to those who definitely know their history of this time and place. It's too bad about the ending and the editing, though. I am not familiar with this at all, so I know I wouldn't enjoy it. Thanks for the information, though.
I can guarantee you would figure it out, probably around the same place where I was like, “wait a minute, I Know that didn’t happen...”. Since I have tried very hard since HS to be as educated as I can, this really bothered me that I didn’t know where the story started veering off the historical record.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

The war part makes me interested in reading this book since I love action although books that date back to history are a throw down to me.
tcastillo
Currently Reading: Before We Were Yours
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcastillo.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by tcastillo »

Thank you for the honesty. I've not read the book but I have had my eye on it. The title drew me to it "your land is our land" could work both ways; the Israelis to the Palestinians or the other way around. I'm glad to know that this is "alternative" history though. This part of WWII is not well known and the ensuing conflict between Israelis and Palestinians has been told in the United States from the Israelis point of view because the U.S. alliance with them. "To the victors go the spoils"...even the spoils of writing history. I appreciate reading the alternative perspective but that isn't the same as alternative history. If I started reading without knowing in advance that this was going to happen it would probably make me angry enough to stop reading. I'm glad to have the warning and now have the opportunity to take the correct mindset and perspective into the reading of the novel.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
lydiasmoot21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydiasmoot21.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by lydiasmoot21 »

This is a good review.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

To be honest, I am left ambivalent. I would blindly give this book a try due to the subject matter, but the rating left me disappointed. Thank you for this beautiful review.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Alternative history would definitely be a difficult thing to work with as an author. I remember reading "Fatherland" by Robert Harris, which was about a world where the Nazis had won WWII. That was easier, as it was clearly a far more obvious deviation from history than in this case. I find a lack of decent editing extremely frustrating as a reader, too - coming from a background of reading paper books, I am used to professional editing with almost no errors. Thanks for your detailed review.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

It's difficult to read books when the author only portrays his opinion as to what happened. Your review was well proportioned to suit the positives and negatives of the book. Kudos!
:techie-studyingbrown:
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
Lavidainlife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavidainlife.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Lavidainlife »

What a bummer that the author didn't clearly present where he deviated from accurate history. I love learning about history through reading historical novels, but it's useless (for that purpose) if I have to already know the history myself. Thank you for a thorough, enlightening review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”