Official Review: The McTavish Regressions

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Re: Official Review: The McTavish Regressions

Post by Julehart1 »

This book sounds interesting. The plot intrigues me for sure. Past life regression seems like a fun topic to explore. Too bad that the book is so short and lacks detail on the places mentioned. Thanks for your review.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Topics of psychology, history, disability, dance, and healing - what else can you ask for? It sounds like a wonderful book about regression and the downfalls of this. A great review which I think led me to believe that this is definitely a book for me as I enjoy this genre and like to think about the pros and cons of such practices. Congrats on BOTD as well to the writer.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

This sounds like a good book for those into psychology. I however wouldn't read this. Thanks for the good review though.
Kremena Boyanova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kremena-boyanova.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Kremena Boyanova »

Past lives, traveling back in time, history woven with phycology, I like that. I was taken aback, when you considered the lack of descriptions, I definitely will miss them! But anyway, I think it will be an intriguing read! Thank you for the review! I enjoyed it!
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

Based on the review, I agree that the "The McTavish Regressions" has promise as a historical fiction that explores past lives as potential explanations for current human behavior. As a story that has the potential for amazing character development, I can understand your request for a longer book with better descriptions of different places and time periods. As you can deduce, however, I do find the premise alluring; and I look forward to starting the series. Thank you for your review.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

The book sounds a bit as though it is non-fiction. I loved the concept of Past Life Regression. I am definitely keen to read this book. Thanks for the review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Skye7188
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Skye7188 »

I read this book and have to say I agree it was a 4 star book. Although I'm not a believer in past life regression therapy, I found the addition of it to a historacal fiction book worked very well. I found much of the modern day scenes dry, but I enjoyed the past life regressions. I was disappointed that the combination of past life regression and criminology was not explored more, but am interested to see how that aspect plays out. I didn't like this book at first; I found the parts that talked about Dr. McTavish and his past life regression therapy a little braggy. It seemed like everyone that encountered this man was enamored by him and did little to address the controversy surrounding past life regression. I think addressing the past life regression controversy and alternative views would have added a little depth to the book. Another thing is much of first part has a lot of academic language that may not be widely known, so I think the use of laymens terms would have made it more appealing. However, when the past life regression parts came in, it was like reading a different book. I enjoyed the past life retelling way more then that therapy aspect. I would read future books in this series to see how it plays out.

Return to “Historical Fiction”