Official Review: The McTavish Regressions

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dori Lee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dori-lee.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Official Review: The McTavish Regressions

Post by Dori Lee »

Great review. What a new and different take on historical fiction. I am intrigued in this book though I am not usually interested in this genre.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

This is the first book of its kind I have come across.. Definitely an interesting read. I do wish it could be a bit more detailed however. But I think I will like to read it.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, I found the hypnotism and historical fiction combination creates an entertaining "past lives" affect the present is something that appears in great literature. I look forward to see how the story progress. Well Done.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Thanks for the review. It is something about this book that is simply kind of off. I really can't put my finger on it but I did not feel any type of connection to the book after reading the summary pages. Although your summary gave a lot more detail information about the characters, plot and different settings in the storyline, I still am not able to find interest in reading this book. I could be wrong and will keep an open mind, so I did download and will place on the shelf for future reading. Thanks for the insight about the lack of description in the different locations throughout the book.
Atifkhan1
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Atifkhan1 »

Awesome characters in this book.The premise of this book is definitely promising. Therapy by means of Past Life Regression is an unusual idea for a historical fiction storyline.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Too bad the descriptions of the background were poor. It would've been great to know more about the period of the Spanish Inquisition. However, I really do not believe in past lives, so I'll pass on this book.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

I have never heard of the term Past Life Regression previously, so as you can imagine, I have read this whole review in amazement. It is an interesting premise that a person living in the present could actually be an incarnate of the same person living centuries ago. This concept doesn't exactly align with my personal beliefs that stem from the Christian teachings about life and death, and made me wonder why a person would hold it to be true. There is certainly room for a lot more exploration. Thanks for this!
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

I've read a book before with similar topics and thoroughly enjoyed it this book sounds like a great read and I look forward to reading it.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The McTavish Regressions by McTavish & Buret' well explores the issues raised in the book, specially when relating the mentality of the criminals to their past lives.The review manages to instill a thought in the readers that the book suits their present state of being.
rainydaysc64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 834
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainydaysc64.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler
Reading Device: B00OZTU156

Post by rainydaysc64 »

The overall plot of this book sounds like something I feel like I'd really enjoy. However, with the way you describe it, it almost sounds like this book is really too short to consider reading. But at the same time, the subject matter sounds fascinating to me and might be something I'd need to consider.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a book."
- J.K. Rowling
+Jargoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jargoc.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by +Jargoc »

I find this book fascinating, simply by the concept that one's desires are believed to be caused by his or her past lives. I'm glad you make a point to explain the reasons why the book is worth reading. The negative feedback is helpful also, because readers can anticipate what might be a letdown before they even open to the first page. I would not have found the length of the book unappealing, but knowing that more could have been included, makes the book's small amount of pages seem like a mistake rather than a fun quirk of some sort. I appreciate this review. :)
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your informative and insightful review. We all have varying circumstances and perspectives as well as corresponding choices. Therefore, I understand and respect your decision not to give this piece a perfect score. I could see from the sample that it is well-written enough. I may not have the same set of beliefs that the work seems to be anchored on, but it is also interesting enough for a fictional work. Like you, I was also under the impression that this book is about past life regression and its correlation with criminology as the main theme. I, thus, share your disappointment for not having such explored in the rest of its pages. I also would hope that the subsequent instalments of the series will cover whatever cliffhanger or missing bits necessary to complete the whole puzzle.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

While the premise is interesting, the lack of description and resolution would probably leave me wanting. Thanks for the review!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like the premise of the book about past life regressions. It is interesting to try an dig a person's past life as you attempt to discover what makes them who they are now. But I also hope Laura's story would have been explored in full. Great review.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thank you for your review. I have read a couple of books now in which Past Life Regression is involved and have become quite interested in it. Will add this one to my bookshelf

Return to “Historical Fiction”