Official Review: The McTavish Regressions

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Re: Official Review: The McTavish Regressions

Post by Miercoles »

Thanks for an intriguing review. The premise of the book sounds fascinating. The idea that people have lived before is not new, but using regression therapy to help people overcome their current situations is certainly innovative.
Charlotte_Shi
Currently Reading: In Lucia's Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-shi.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Charlotte_Shi »

Laura's ‘past-life’ memories, Past Life Regression, interesting premise... the book really does sound compelling. Very detailed review, thank you!
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Thank you for your review. While I find it very interesting that the authors have approached their work in a way that is understandable for those not so well versed in psychology, I fear that these kinds of fiction books almost entirely focused on this discipline are not usually of my interest.
dmaras14
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dmaras14 »

Intriguing review. I was unsure if the story line would hold my interest or lose me in a subject I am not as familiar with. However, after reading the review I am inclined to expand my genre a little a give this one a try. It’s good to know going into it that I will not be receiving all the answers I may want at the end of this book.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Historical fiction mixed with past-life regressions sounds like a neat combo. Hopefully, Laura will be able to live her dream of becoming a dancer in her past life, as she can't in her present life. I like that the author was able to explain the fundamentals of Past Life Regression in a way that others can understand. It's also great to hear that Dr. McTavish was compelling, but too bad that Dr. Buret didn't seem to fit here. Too bad about the lack of descriptions and the errors that were present. However, I'm glad that you were to enjoy this one regardless! Thank you for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Elke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elke.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Elke »

Thanks for your review! Without it, I probably wouldn't have considered reading it as the title doesn't speak to me. But as you say that the book is about psychology I might consider it after all.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

A fascinating and somewhat controversial area of psychology centers around the area of past life regression. The principal behind past life regression is controversial because of the concept of reincarnation, which can be disturbing to people since the concepts questions the tenements of religion. Conversely, the concept of past life regression suggests that those previous existences have an influence in our present reality. From your description, it sounds like a wonderful premise for a book with the backdrop of rich history and exciting locales. It is disappointing that the author did not fully expand on the topic. Given that it is only 87 pages, perhaps it was intended to be a focused sample to attract interested readers in a more developed series.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

Sound like an interesting book that combines good research with good characters. The Romani culture and Past Life Regression sound interesting to me and I'm glad to see how it's all put together
Kdbuck4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdbuck4.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Kdbuck4 »

I have never been much for historical fiction, but this sounds like an interesting premise. Although short, this may actually serve as a good foray into the genre. Thank you for the thorough review!
Callistus Ibenye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-callistus-ibenye.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Callistus Ibenye »

Great review. I am glad you liked it. I like historical fiction books because I gain lots of insight from them. But, I will have to pass this book because I don't enjoy reading medical or hypnosis themed books. Thank you for sharing.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I was looking forward to reading about the Romani tribe but after seeing how short the book was, I was left a little disappointed.
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

From what the reviewer had to say this book sounds interesting. However the comment about the violent scene seemed miss guided. This is an adult book violence is to be expected. Also from the lack of description and the editing errors I think maybe the book should have only received a 2 out of 4 rating.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

I could read this one since it is a short read. I like stories that deal with past lives and transition through each life. It would need to transition well and have some sort of sign to let the reader know that it is in a past or future life. Without this, it will be hard to keep up and lacking development. The review says it is lacking in this area but I can still give it a try.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I think it's nice that psychology, and history are mixed together in one book. And this past life thing seems interesting. Nice review.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Good review! I believe this historical fiction includes a plot that explains past life regressions. The author himself is a psychologist and looks like deeply interested in the subject matter. His treatments include this technique and hypnotism. A unique theme! I hope there will be many readers to cheer for this story. It is sad that the book has a few typos and grammar errors.

Return to “Historical Fiction”