Official Review: The McTavish Regressions

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mitsyc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Re: Official Review: The McTavish Regressions

Post by Mitsyc »

Wow. I have rarely heard of Past Life Regression so that alone intrigues me.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

For some reason, I feel like this is a book I can not read at night. Haha, the concept of regressions seems a bit terrifying, especially when a character can find a particular regression session traumatizing. Reincarnation and the whole jazz is so unnatural to me. For that reason, I won't be finishing this book! Thanks for the review! It sucks that Laura's case isn't resolved by the time the book comes to a close.
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

While the plot of the story seems interesting in learn about your past life and why your thoughts are the way they are, I don't like how the book seems too short which means the story could be rushed and that the historical flashbacks are not descriptive enough to send me to that time.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I think the historical fiction story that dwells on the Spanish Inquisition is a good one. One may get a little understanding of what happened and its effects on the generations that followed. Quite sad that the book was too short thus limiting a description of several facts.
As for the few typos, a reprint may address them.
Thanks for your review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

Both the topics of past life regression and Romani history make me interested in reading this book. But it is disappointing that it is so short and has loose ends as you mentioned. I also found the font of the past life regressions hard to read in the sample. Thank you for a great review
Smojica
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Smojica »

This review is thorough enough for me to get a good sense of the storyline of this book as well as a sense of the authors style of writing. I do not believe this is a story that will interest me. I love history, thus detailed descriptions of scenes are a necessity! :?
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen

Post by mumoscar »

The idea to include psychological studies into historical fiction is a unique one. The plot feels quite engaging too except for the mishaps.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Some people believe in past life regression and some don't. The challenge faced by The McTavish Regressions by McTavish & Buret is to present an intriguing and engaging puzzle that would move non-believers to consider the theory or at the very least, challenge them into trying to debunk it. For those who are already interested in it, open to it and are on their way to believing in it, the book faces the challenge of presenting a story that enthralls and reinforces their thoughts on past lives. To readers on the fence, they are on the lookout for a thrilling ride, adventure and inspiration. McTavish & Buret has been lauded by some readers for cleverly combining fiction, history and psychology so the book is going to draw readers on the fence but are game for an entertaining read. It's biggest test is drawing the attention of non-believers on one hand, and satisfying the believers of the theory on the other. Congratulations to McTavish & Buret for this debut in what promises to be an engaging series. Thumbs up to jvez for a balanced, objective review on the novel.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This is an interesting concept. Not at all sure what to make of it. Adding to my list of books to read.
gonzairene95
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gonzairene95 »

Re: Official Review: The Mc Tavish regressions
By Gonza Irene

I myself feel this is a good story line, the way the author combined fiction, physchology and history is really fascinating. The book literally puts the reader into the character as one is always eager to know what happens next and its concept of past life regression is also so understandable.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I really loved the title of the book. I found it quite intriguing. It led me to the whole narrative. Kudos to the writer! A splendid job on the text!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

From the description, I agree that the storyline is promising. Were it not for the apparent flaws; I would've jumped right into reading the book. I, however, got myself a copy because I can't resist a free book.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

A historical fiction twist on the psycho-therapeutic procedure seems like an intriguing idea. This a unique mix of the historical genre and I think I will have to read it.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I love the concept of combining historical fiction, psychological analysis, and past life regression. The Spanish Inquisition is also an event that I don't know as much about as I would like, so this would be an entertaining stepping stone to learning more about it. However, the fact that it is so short with a lack of detailed descriptions makes me hesitant. It's important for historical fiction to transport the reader to another time effectively and, based on your review, I'm not sure if this book does. Thank you for the thorough and honest review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by eddix »

Thanks for your review. I can see you enjoyed the book. It's amazing the theories and premises the mind can come up with. This book is not for me, though, because I believe we have only one life to live, and at the end of it we will all have to tell the Lord what we did with the one life He gave us.

Return to “Historical Fiction”