Official Review: The Supervisor by Tod Benjamin

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Official Review: The Supervisor by Tod Benjamin

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Supervisor" by Tod Benjamin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Supervisor by Tod Benjamin is not your conventional mystery narrative. It encapsulates a much wider set of themes. The narrative serves as a Bildungsroman (which is a coming of age story). The protagonist of the story is a charmingly naive man of the age 24. As the writer of the book says, the story “invokes strong memories of the second world war”, and the setting, as well as the style of the author’s writing, is suited to that age.

The most important thing about this book is the strong plot that it has. I felt that the author’s style of writing was quite wonderful, and it captivated me from the first page. The plot of the story was well woven and the story held my interest all the way to the end. I didn’t feel that the plot got dull or dry at any point, and therein lies the strength of the story. I absolutely loved the setting of the story, the time as well as the place. For a lover of historical mystery stories, this book is an absolute treat. The story is rich with historical elements and these elements have been elegantly interpolated into the narrative. Due to the themes dealt with in the story, I feel that the book is perfect for young adults and adults who love good mystery novels.

I felt that the story essentially talked about a myriad of issues. It was a realistic narrative that dealt with everyday concerns while beautifully exploring the larger and overarching storyline. To me, one of the best things about this book is the way it deals with relationships and exposes the grey reality of real-world dynamics. The complexity of the character relationships in this story added the element of suspense, and the reader is constantly wondering about what to expect from the narrative.

In my opinion, the characterisation in this story could have been a bit stronger. The protagonist, while realistic and interesting, often lacks charm. His presence is not strongly felt and that flattened the narrative a bit. However, the other characters had their own mysteries and charms, and this added to the beauty of the story.

Perhaps the most important thing in the case of a historical novel would’ve been the style of writing. I looked for nuances that could possibly dampen the reading experience due to anachronism, but I must say I found none. The language used by the author in the book seems relevant to the landscape of 1960 London. The style of writing is consistent with the works from that time.

Overall, I happily rate this story 3 out of 4 stars. I cut off a point due to the characterisation and definitely feel that it is something the author could work on, but I cannot wait to read his next work.

The Supervisor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like 420waystoreachthesun's review? Post a comment saying so!
hennycortex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by hennycortex »

this was a great book. very interesting. If you are bored this is a good read. 3/4 stars because its not perfect but its a great book to read I have enjoyed it and I hope you do.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Thanks for the review.
The story about the second world war got my attention.
I would love to get more details through the book itself.
Books are lovely.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have to be in the mood for historical fiction. This sounds like a great setting with some interesting scenes, but it's too bad that the main character could have used a bit of work. Still, thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I was really impressed that you didn't find any lulls in the story, as that can be a hard feat for an author. With the era it depicts, I would definitely look into this book, even though the characters could use a little more "umph." Thanks for a great review!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Historical fiction serves such a great purpose in my reading life. I get to enjoy a great storyline but also learn about a time period that I have not ever been exposed to. I love when an author weaves the two together. From your review, it sounds like a good book with a little bit of tweaking to get it straight on its feet. Very good review to draw readers in, I must say.
Everything happens for a reason...
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

Thank you!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review. This sounds like one I would like to read. You make it seem very inviting.
Arobenz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arobenz »

I will read it
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It's hard for me to get into a book when the main character is not fully developed. It sounds like the overall storyline did have its good points.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
olamidotun16
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by olamidotun16 »

This is wonderful story

Return to “Historical Fiction”