Official Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kamel" by Charles J Haubner III.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The horrors of war are not reserved for the soldiers on each side of the conflict. Innocent men, women, and children are almost always caught in the machinations of destruction that arise when nations collide. However, when we talk about historical fiction being written about war, it is almost always from the perspective of the uniformed soldier in the heat of battle or those left behind on the home-front. Kamel by Charles J Haubner III, however, breaks this mold and delivers to the reader a harrowing tale of an adolescent boy and his grandfather inadvertently caught in the midst of German forces during World War I.

Kamel, our schoolboy protagonist, and his grandfather, a veteran of the Franco-Prussian War, have a simple hunting trip planned. After they exit their humble family farmhouse in rural France, to their horror, they observe a wave of German soldiers descending on the house they just left. Too far away to help and knowing full well what those soldiers will do, Kamel and his grandfather try to escape undetected. Despite their tear-filled eyes, they must make it the hunting cabin safely in order to formulate a plan. Eventually destined for Verdun, as Kamel's grandfather is certain this city could never fall, this book is their journey's tale through war-torn France in the early 20th century. Despite the dangers of the German invasion around every corner, Kamel and his grandfather seize every opportunity to sabotage, fight back, and mutilate German forces they encounter along the way.

I tend to have a soft spot for historical fiction and especially those novels dealing with World War I, therefore, this book was right up my alley. I genuinely love the idea of a young boy and an old man confronting the leviathan that is the German army. What I liked the most about this book is the snapshot the author is able to provide the reader of rural France during the time of WWI. Scenes of a rural schoolhouse, a farming homestead, and finally the charming countryside allow Haubner to paint a picture of beauty and serenity. Next, he then is able to portray how war is able to decimate both the aforementioned serenity and the beauty of the French landscape. The author does not shy away from the atrocities of War and is expertly able to convey the emotions, pain, fear, and horror present in the turmoil. Finally, I appreciated how the author was able to inject some humor into the book. At first glance, one may think that humor is out if place in the throes of war. This is, however, not the case as dark gallows humor is an effective method of keeping one's mind off of the atrocities that are occurring. Whether it be the aftermath of Kamel soiling himself in the heat of battle or grandfather's constant search for wine to keep him going, the author is still able to put a smile on the reader's face.

There were, however, two things that bothered me throughout this book. First, and what I disliked the most about it, was how the author attempted using French within the pages. In writing the novel, and understandably so given the location, the author sprinkled French words in the dialogue, chapter titles, and elsewhere throughout the story. Unfortunately, a good portion of the French used had mistakes in it, awkward language, or was just used improperly. Although this may be imperceptible to those who don't know the French language, those that are fluent cannot help but notice. Finally, albeit fiction, there was a certain lack of realism at times. I can't go into many details without spoiling the plot, but some of the feats are pretty impressive for an adolescent boy. As well, some of the help he receives from French forces would never be allocated to him in the middle of a war.

I thoroughly enjoyed this relatively short historical fiction novel. From the moment I picked it up, I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I put it down before finishing it. Kamel's tale kept me glued to the pages both in tense anticipation of what was around the corner and genuine concern for him and his grandfather. For this level of dedication the author was able to instill in me and my sheer enjoyment of the tale, I have no qualms giving this book a solid 3 out of 4 stars. I really wish I could have given this book a perfect score, but due to the broken French and some of the unrealistic situations, I am forced to remove a star. If you are a reader that enjoys historical fiction, war stories, and tales surrounding World War I, I would fully recommend you read this book. If that genre has no interest to you whatsoever or if you are particularly against death and violence in your novels, you may want to stay away from this one.

Kamel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I'm impressed you noticed the errors regarding the author's use of French! The book is definitely something I would be interested in except for the unrealistic situations; I'm a stickler for believable sequences in a genre such as this. Thank you for an informative review!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

SABRADLEY wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 08:46 I'm impressed you noticed the errors regarding the author's use of French!
Seconded - well done! I also agree that the occasional lack of realism is a bit off-putting. I think I'll pass on this one, but I really appreciated the quality of your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does seem like a bit different take on a war story. I don't know that I've read about a child and grandfather being caught in the middle of a war. I'm glad you enjoyed this in spite of the problems. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I tend to avoid books about WWI or WWII, this is mostly because the books I have read engaging the time period I have not liked, so I started avoiding all books from that period. However, this one has captured my attention, and I may have to give it a read. The French language may annoy me, but hopefully, my lack of fluency will save me. :) Thanks for the review.
ksky2101214
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ksky2101214 »

I don't really like to read stuff that have WW1 or WW2 but this was good
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

This sounds like a good read. I really liked your review, it was very thorough and informative. I’m quite interested in reading this book although not looking forward to the French errors. Thanks for a good and honest review!
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

I rarely read historical fiction, from your review this book doesn't seem like my cup of tea. Your review is great. The fact you are able to pick up on the errors in the few French words used is great. It really aids any interested reader.
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Sijaona1
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sijaona1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sijaona1 »

Stories about war gives insights on its impact, economic and social aspects.

Consistent use of one language without bringing untranslated other language keeps the flow and meaning of the story.

Return to “Historical Fiction”