Official Review: Natasha's Ukraine by Rob Ottesen

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Natasha's Ukraine by Rob Ottesen

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Natasha's Ukraine" by Rob Ottesen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is everything that she has ever dreamt of, and more. She is finally able to forget her financial woes. Natasha can now relax and let the man of her dreams take care of her. Still, there are red flags constantly glaring at her, yet, she forges forward with her new found love. Unlike the undependable Sergei, Hassan treats her like a queen, lavishing her with all manner of gifts. Natasha is blinded by the pretentious gestures; she stubbornly refuses to acknowledge his hidden agenda.

Meanwhile, Carl cannot bring himself to accept the death of his fiancé. Even though her death occurred years earlier, he still wishes she was there with him. He can still remember her smile and warmth and how she held him through the death of his parents. All Carl knows now is to survive each moment and live a day at a time. His hope of new love seems to have been lost when the fatal accident that took away his first love happened.

Natasha's Ukraine by Rob Ottesen is set in the heightened political upheaval of Ukraine. The culture, political climate and economic status of the country are reflected in the book which adds a rich twist to the main plot. Ottesen does a great job of balancing history while creating a captivating story that reflects some prevailing issues that plague the nation of Ukraine.

The themes captured by the author in Natasha’s Ukraine are important to today’s society and they helped me appreciate the strength of the Ukrainian people and their will to continue and hope for a better life despite what they have been through. Even though the book is not meant to be a historical account of the happenings of the country, it still sheds light on many issues prevalent in the region and the beauty of the Ukrainians’ culture and unique cuisine.

The main characters in the book represented the themes of the account enthrallingly. Rob Ottesen captures the different backgrounds of Carl and Natasha which brings out their contrasting natures and ultimately compounded my suspense as I could not wait to find out how two people coming from such different backgrounds could merge to be a complete union. The plot is also realistic and includes challenging moments and some happy ones too. It also shows the characters’ flaws as well as strengths. Natasha appears to be strong-willed and ambitious. While in many instances this can be considered as a strength, sometimes her character acts against her.

Natasha’s Ukraine is a fascinating read. The characters, the plot and background all come together to bring out an unforgettable story. Overall, it is very engaging and informative. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Natasha's Ukraine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I'm intrigued to see how Carl and Natasha's lives intertwine. Sounds like this story is very well done, and I don't know enough about the Ukraine. I should read it. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This is a very interesting book. This is something I would definitely read. Thank you for your review.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

I've been hearing more and more that Ukrainian history is really important to understanding modern European history overall, and this book looks like a deep look at Ukrainian life. Thanks for this positive review.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

I know almost nothing about the Ukraine, but I'm always up for a book that authentically delves into an area's history and conflict. Very nice review.

Sidenote: I think I'm too hard on books, I almost never rate a book 4/4 even unofficially! This one must be pretty impressive! Thanks.

Return to “Historical Fiction”